Pickle & Asparagus Potato SaladCarla Kelly June 1, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Vegan Al Fresco‘.
(Makes 4–6 servings)
This mayo-free potato salad bursts with flavours: sweet and sour pickles, fresh and bright asparagus, and creamy smooth potatoes. After tasting it, you may never go back to mayo-based potato salads again!
- 3 cups cubed firm yellow organic potatoes, such as Yukon gold (peeling optional)
- 3 cups chopped asparagus spears, hard ends removed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice or brining liquid
- ½ tsp smooth Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp agave syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1) In a medium saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, steam potatoes for 8–10 minutes, until fork tender. Refresh under cold running water, drain, and cool to room temperature.
2) In the same pan, steam asparagus for 2–3 minutes, until tender. Refresh under cold running water, drain, and cool to room temperature.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brine, mustard, agave, salt, and pepper until well emulsified.
4) Stir in pickles, garlic, and shallots. Add potatoes and asparagus and toss to coat.
5) Cover and chill for at least one hour.
6) Taste and season as desired before serving.
Carla Kelly’s new cookbook, <a href="https://amzn.to/34G05Bw">Vegan al Fresco</a>, is a bright, flavourful, and accessible guide to outdoor dining and entertaining without the use of any animal products. Kelly offers over 200 fresh and creative recipes for entrées, salads, brunch features, desserts, and finger foods that are perfect for your next picnic in the park, backyard barbecue, or cottage cookout! The author of two previous vegan cookbooks: <a href="https://amzn.to/3ecC6gn">Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking</a> and <a href="https://amzn.to/3jILklE">Quick and Easy Vegan Bake Sale</a>, Carla Kelly also runs a food blog called The Year of the Vegan.