Hearty Three-Grain SaladCarla Kelly June 1, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Vegan Al Fresco‘.
(Makes 6 servings)
If you’ve got leftover brown rice from last night’s dinner, and some barley in the cupboard, here’s a hearty salad to the rescue! Chewy grains, crunchy vegetables, and a hint of raspberries, this is a perfect picnic salad on a hot summer’s day.
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/3 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- 3 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 cup cooked, cooled long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup cooked, cooled barley, rinsed well
- 1 cup cooked, cooled spelt or wheat berries
1) Over a large bowl, press raspberries through a sieve. Reserve liquid and discard seeds.
2) Stir in garlic, ginger, oil, and lemon juice and whisk to combine. Taste and season as desired.
3) Stir in celery, carrots, onions, and cranberries and toss to coat.
4) Stir in cooked grains and combine well.
5) Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Carla Kelly’s new cookbook, <a href="https://amzn.to/34G05Bw">Vegan al Fresco</a>, is a bright, flavourful, and accessible guide to outdoor dining and entertaining without the use of any animal products. Kelly offers over 200 fresh and creative recipes for entrées, salads, brunch features, desserts, and finger foods that are perfect for your next picnic in the park, backyard barbecue, or cottage cookout! The author of two previous vegan cookbooks: <a href="https://amzn.to/3ecC6gn">Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking</a> and <a href="https://amzn.to/3jILklE">Quick and Easy Vegan Bake Sale</a>, Carla Kelly also runs a food blog called The Year of the Vegan.