Grilled Zucchini Sticks
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Vegan Al Fresco‘.
(Makes 2–4 servings)
These zucchini sticks are a little lighter and healthier than the traditional ones encased in batter and deep-fried. The flavour of the zucchini really shines, enhanced by wine, mustard, and tarragon.
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp mild grainy mustard
- 1 tsp agave syrup *
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- 2 medium zucchinis, quartered lengthwise and cut into 3-inch sticks
1) In a large flat container with resealable lid or in a large ziplock bag, combine wine, garlic, mustard, agave, vinegar, salt, and tarragon.
2) Add zucchini and toss to coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour, turning after 30 minutes. Reserve marinade.
3) Preheat barbecue to medium heat. Grill zucchini for 5 minutes each side, until lightly browned, basting frequently with leftover marinade (some barbecues come with a veggie grilling basket).
4) * Agave – A natural sweetener made from the sap of the agave (the plant from which tequila is distilled), agave syrup, or nectar, is becoming more widely known and available. If your supermarket does not stock this, it’s likely that a health food store will.