Recipe: Middle Eastern StewPat Crocker October 1, 2014
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘SIMMERED FALL SUPPERS‘.
(Makes 4 servings)
- 3 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Garam masala spice blend
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can (14 oz) tomatoes and juices
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup Puy or brown lentils
- 2 cups chopped kale or Swiss chard or spinach
- ½ cup Greek-style yogurt
1) In a large pot or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes.
2) Add eggplant and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until onion is soft and eggplant is browned.
3) Add garlic and spice blend and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
4) Add carrots, parsnips, tomatoes with their juices, and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
5) Stir in lentils, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender and liquids are reduced and thickened.
6) Add kale and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until wilted and incorporated into the stew. Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
As a professional Home Economist (BAA, Ryerson Univ., Toronto) and Culinary Herbalist, Pat’s passion for healthy food is fused with her knowledge and love of herbs. She has honed her herb practice over more than four decades of growing, studying, photographing, experimenting with, and writing about what she calls the helping plants. In fact, Crocker marries the medicinal benefits of herbs in every original recipe she develops. An award-winning author, Pat has written 22 herb/healthy cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook, The Juicing Bible, and most recently The Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling, 2018), and Healing Cannabis Edibles. She has over 1.5 million books in print and translated to over 11 languages. Watch for her next book, Cooking and Healing with Cannabis to be launched in 2020. And to find out more about Cannabis and Pat Crocker’s books and appearances, visit www.patcrocker.com