Recipe: Pumpkin PotPat Crocker October 1, 2014
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘SIMMERED FALL SUPPERS‘.
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 3 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Red Curry Paste or Garam masala*
- 2 cups ½-inch cubed pumpkin or squash
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped kale or Swiss chard
- 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1) In a large pot or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes.
2) Add red pepper and curry paste and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
3) Stir in pumpkin, carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes or until squash is tender and liquids are reduced and thickened.
4) Add kale and chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until kale is wilted and incorporated into the stew.
* Garam masala, the mildly spiced blend of Middle Eastern flavours, can be easily made with fresh whole spices, but it is available, already blended and ground, in many fine food stores.
As a professional Home Economist (BAA, Ryerson Univ., Toronto) and Culinary Herbalist, Pat’s passion for healthy food is fused with her knowledge and love of herbs. She has honed her herb practice over more than four decades of growing, studying, photographing, experimenting with, and writing about what she calls the helping plants. In fact, Crocker marries the medicinal benefits of herbs in every original recipe she develops. An award-winning author, Pat has written 22 herb/healthy cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook, The Juicing Bible, and most recently The Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling, 2018), and Healing Cannabis Edibles. She has over 1.5 million books in print and translated to over 11 languages. Watch for her next book, Cooking and Healing with Cannabis to be launched in 2020. And to find out more about Cannabis and Pat Crocker’s books and appearances, visit www.patcrocker.com