Recipe: Steamed Vegetables and RicePat Crocker October 1, 2014
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘SIMMERED FALL SUPPERS‘.
(Serves 4 to 6)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup mixed red, brown, wild rice
- 1 Tbsp Garam masala spice blend
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 head broccoli, sliced
- ½ head cauliflower, sliced
- 1 cup Garlic Peanut Sauce (store bought or recipe follows)
1) In a large skillet, tagine or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions for 4 minutes.
2) Add carrot and red pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
3) Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes.
4) Add rice and spice blend and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
5) Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
6) Spread broccoli and cauliflower evenly over top of rice mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
7) Serve with Garlic Peanut Sauce.
As a professional Home Economist (BAA, Ryerson U., Toronto) and Culinary Herbalist, Pat’s passion for healthy food is fused with her knowledge and love of herbs. She has honed her wellness practice over more than four decades of growing, photographing, and writing about what she calls, the helping plants. In fact, Crocker infuses the medicinal benefits of herbs in every original recipe she develops. An award-winning author, Pat has written 23 herb/healthy cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook,The Juicing Bible, and her latest, Cooking with Cannabis (<a href="https://www.sterlingpublishing.com/9781454940753/?category=STSU1CUL"Sterling</a>) andThe Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling, 2018). <a href="www.patcrocker.com"www.patcrocker.com</a>