Recipe: SOPA DE ELOTE ~ Corn Soup
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Peasant Comfort Foods for Deep Winter Dining‘.
The indigenous peoples of Mexico believed that corn had a divine origin. They called this golden grain the ‘food of the gods’ and believed that the gods first made humans from corn. It was so important in their culinary world, they called it toconayo (our meat). (Serves about 8)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen organic corn, thawed
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 Tbsp grated cheese
1) Place corn, hot pepper, green onions and salt in a food processor, then process into a paste. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a saucepan, then add corn paste and stir-fry over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in milk and water.
3) Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 25 minutes, stirring a few times.
4) Serve piping hot, with each diner adding cheese to taste.