Recipe: ASSEEDA ~ Bean and Almond Soup
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Peasant Comfort Foods for Deep Winter Dining‘.
This North African soup is both exotic and tasty. (Serves about 6 to 8 people)
- 1/2 cup navy beans, soaked overnight in 6 cups of water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds, pulverized
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 4 Tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
1) In a saucepan, place beans with their water and bring to a boil. Then cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
2) Add remaining ingredients, except slivered almonds, and bring to a boil.
3) Lower heat to medium/low and cook covered for another hour or until the beans are well cooked, adding more water if necessary.
4) Purée in a blender, then re-heat.
5) Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the slivered almonds and serve immediately.