From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Peasant Comfort Foods for Deep Winter Dining‘.
This dish is believed to have originated in Puerto Rico and then spread to the other islands in the Caribbean. (Serves 4 to 6)
1) Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté the okra over medium heat until they turn light brown, turning them over a few times.
2) Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towels to drain excess oil.
3) In the same oil (add more oil if necessary), sauté the onion, garlic and the sweet and hot peppers over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4) Stir in tomatoes and sauté for a further 10 minutes.
5) Gently stir in the okra and the remaining ingredients.
6) Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until okra is tender, adding more water if necessary.
7) Serve hot with cooked rice.
Habeeb Salloum’s articles have been published in the Toronto Star, Backwoods Home Magazine, Forever Young Information Magazine, and Vegetarian Journal, among others. His most recent book Asian Cooking Made Simple – A Culinary Journey Along the Silk Road and Beyond is available at <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Asian-Cooking-Made-Simple-Culinary/dp/1591521343">amazon</a> at: <a href="https://tinyurl.com/zk3ueyv">https://tinyurl.com/zk3ueyv</a>
Established in 1989, Vitality magazine is one of Canada's largest publications on natural health, alternative medicine, and green living. At vitalitymagazine.com we bring you highlights of our current issue plus exclusive web material, and archives of selected content from past issues.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: All advice provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be, or serve as a substitute for professional medical or psychological advice, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified professionals with any questions you may have regarding a medical or psychological condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of information you accessed through this website, Facebook page, Twitter or from any communication with Vitality magazine.
DISCLOSURE NOTICE: We are a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to affiliated sites. Our participation does not influence our content, but it helps offset the costs involved in providing you with free information.
© Copyright 2022, Vitality Magazine. All Rights Reserved.