Recipe: BORSCHT ~ Beet Soup
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Peasant Comfort Foods for Deep Winter Dining‘.
There are numerous versions of this famous Eastern European soup/stew; this is mine. (Serves about 8)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 pound beets, thoroughly washed, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sweet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- l small hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
1) Heat oil in a large pot, then sauté onion and garlic over medium/low heat for 10 minutes.
2) Add beets and water and bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
3) Add broth and remaining vegetables, then bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are cooked, adding more water if necessary.
4) Add the salt, pepper, cumin, allspice and mustard, then cover and cook for 15 minutes.
5) Stir in lemon juice and serve hot.