Recipe: Sugar-Free Key Lime Pie
From the Vitality Food Feature: “The Ketogenic Diet”
When on a keto diet, keep this pie on hand in case of cravings. You’ll wish you could turn back time with the last bite of this pie – proof that nutritious food can taste good. Avocados are packed with vitamin B6, which supports the liver in metabolizing and balancing certain hormones such as estrogen. It’s the perfect non-chocolate rescue for PMS. The lime juice helps protect the avocado flesh from oxidizing (darkening). (Makes 8 servings.)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecans
- ¼ tsp grey sea salt or pink rock salt
- ½ cup sugar-free dried cranberries
- Process the coconut, pecans, and salt in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Add the cranberries and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and begins to clump together.
- Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate using the back of a spoon or your fingers.
- Place the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- 3 firm avocados
- 5 Tbsp (45 ml) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lime zest
- ½ tsp stevia liquid
- ⅓ cup coconut butter or oil
- pinch grey sea salt or pink rock salt, as desired
- kiwi or lime slices
- Process all the filling ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust. Set in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh slices of kiwi fruit or thin slices of lime.
5 Tbsp (45 ml) lime juice? 5Tbsp is 75ml…
In a Utube video she uses walnuts rather than pecans and dates. I did not hear cranberries.
Perhaps this is a different version. Dates are sweet, so the pie would not e sugar free in that sense
Thank you for your comment. Yes, the video does feature a different version of this recipe.
Though it is not carbohydrate-free, the video version is refined sugar-free.
I adapted the recipe to be in keeping with the Keto diet.
Cheers, Julie Daniluk
The recipe is suitable for those following a ketogenic diet as it is low in carbohydrates and sugar-free.