Recipe: Artichoke Skordalia
From the Vitality Food Feature: “The Ketogenic Diet”
Skordalia is a lemony dip from Greece that I find truly addictive. Normally made with insulin-spiking potato, this artichoke version will cleanse your liver while making all the food you eat with it taste sweeter. Artichokes can relieve the pain and discomfort associated with indigestion, acid reflux, bloating, lack of appetite, nausea, and mild diarrhea or constipation. Artichokes are also rich in fibre that breaks down into short chain fatty acids to boost ketones! (Makes 2 cups.)
- 3 cups water-packed artichoke hearts (sold in a jar), drained well
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 3 Tbsp organic lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts (or extra cashews)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp pink rock or grey sea salt
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano, to serve
- In a food processor, blend the artichokes, cashews, lemon juice, hemp hearts, garlic and salt. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and parsley, processing until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and oregano.
- (Tip: The leaves of the artichokes should be very soft; otherwise, the dip may be slightly stringy. If you only have stiff artichoke leaves, separate them from the bottoms (the hearts), and save them for stir-fries. Just remember to buy two jars of artichokes! Look for artichoke hearts that are water-packed and in glass.)