Recipe: Garlic Roasted Asparagus
From the Vitality Food Feature: “The Ketogenic Diet
Succulent and tender asparagus is one of the most detoxifying items in the produce aisle. Eat it raw when you’re feeling bloated – it’s a natural diuretic. Asparagus is high in both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nutrients. It contains vitamins C and E; beta-carotene; the minerals zinc, manganese, chromium and selenium; and the amino acid asparagine, which helps insulin transport glucose into cells to be used as fuel. (Makes 8 servings.)
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, ends trimmed, rinsed, patted dry
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp pink rock or grey sea salt, more to taste
- 1 Tbsp organic lemon juice, more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large glass baking dish, toss the asparagus with the coconut oil, garlic, and salt.
- Bake until the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 20 minutes. Stir gently at the 10-minute and 15-minute mark.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the lemon juice. Adjust the salt or lemon, if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.