From the Vitality Food Feature ‘CULINARY SPICES THAT HEAL‘.
Garam masala is the most aromatic and fragrant of all Indian spice blends. Compared to store-bought garam masala, a fresh homemade spice blend tastes better and has a more potent healing effect. (Makes 6 servings)
1) Bring the water to a boil in a large pot and add the dal.
2) Lower the heat to medium, add the turmeric and salt, and simmer for 35 minutes.
3) After 20 minutes, uncover pot and skim off lentil foam with a spoon.
4) Add the spinach and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the spinach is tender.
5) About 10 minutes before the dal is ready, gently heat the oil in a skillet and then add the cumin seeds.
6) As they start to pop, add the onions and sautee until translucent.
7) Add the garlic, coriander and garam masala and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
8) Add the dal mixture and lemon juice. Stir and heat through.
9) Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Nutritionist and TV personality, Julie Daniluk is the award-winning, bestselling author of Meals That Heal Inflammation & Slimming Meals That Heal. Her 3rd book, Hot Detox, was on the Canadian Bestseller’s list for 11 weeks in 2017. Julie’s 4th book, Becoming Sugar-Free, was released on September 7, 2021. Julie has appeared on hundreds of television and radio shows, including The Dr. Oz Show. She is in her 11th season as a resident expert for The Marilyn Denis Show. Check out more information at www.juliedaniluk.com and connect with her on Facebook & Instagram @juliedaniluk
Established in 1989, Vitality magazine is one of Canada's largest publications on natural health, alternative medicine, and green living. At vitalitymagazine.com we bring you highlights of our current issue plus exclusive web material, and archives of selected content from past issues.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: All advice provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be, or serve as a substitute for professional medical or psychological advice, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified professionals with any questions you may have regarding a medical or psychological condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of information you accessed through this website, Facebook page, Twitter or from any communication with Vitality magazine.
DISCLOSURE NOTICE: We are a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to affiliated sites. Our participation does not influence our content, but it helps offset the costs involved in providing you with free information.
© Copyright 2022, Vitality Magazine. All Rights Reserved.