Recipe: Wilted Greens SoupPat Crocker April 3, 2017
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘The Bitter Tastes of Spring‘.
Greens and beans are a balanced combination of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This is a perfect spring soup. Use sorrel and chives or other green herbs that are just now emerging from their long winters’ sleep.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (Vidalia or Bermuda), coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk each: celery, carrot, parsnip, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (10oz/540g) white beans or chickpeas or lentils
- 3 cups packed, shredded greens: mustard, dandelion, Swiss chard, or a combination
1) In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and sauté onion over medium heat until soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery, carrot and parsnip and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, skimming off foam as required.
2) Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans or lentils. Stir beans and greens into soup and cook for 5 minutes, until beans are heated through and greens are wilted. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Pat Crocker www.patcrocker.com Pat's mission in life is to write with insight and experience, cook with playful abandon, and eat parsley with gusto. Author of 24 cookbooks, Crocker holds a degree in Food, Nutrition, Consumer, and Family Studies (Ryerson University, Toronto) and is a culinary herbalist with more than 1.25 million books in print and several translated into over 11 languages. She was honored twice by the International Herb Association’s Professional Award, and also received the 2009 Gertrude H. Foster award from the Herb Society of America for Excellence in Herbal Literature. Her books, The Juicing Bible and The Vegan Cook’s Bible (both published by Robert Rose) have won “Best in the World” awards from the International Gourmand Culinary Guild. Read all about parsley and over forty other herbs in Pat’s latest book, The Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling Epicure) now available in bookstores everywhere and on her website.