Wilted Greens Soup
View the full printable recipe
Greens and beans are a balanced combination of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This is a perfect spring soup. Use sorrel and chives or other green herbs that are just now emerging from their long winters’ sleep.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (Vidalia or Bermuda), coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk each: celery, carrot, parsnip, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (10oz/540g) white beans or chickpeas or lentils
- 3 cups packed, shredded greens: mustard, dandelion, Swiss chard, or a combination
I grew up in Italy in my prior teen days, dandelion, radicchio was always part of our meal, in salad form with olive oil and vinegar, blanched and sauté with garlic, peperoncino, and olive oil. Today 50+ years later I still love it.
Thank you for bringing it up