Seaweed (Wakame) SaladJulie Daniluk, R.H.N. July 1, 2013
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Cool Foods for A Hot Summer‘.
Seaweeds are energetically among the coldest foods in the world. In TCM, seaweed is recommended for cleansing heat from the liver, stomach, and kidneys. Seaweed has the power to disperse phlegm accumulation and resolve soft masses including thyroid goiter, the swelling that indicates severe iodine deficiency.
(Makes 4 servings.)
- 3/4 ounce (22 grams) dried wakame seaweed
- 3 Tbsp coconut or brown rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos or wheat-free tamari
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1) Soak seaweed in warm water to cover, 5 minutes. Drain, rinse, then squeeze out excess water. If wakame is uncut, cut into ½-inch-wide strips.
2) Stir together until the dressing ingredients are well mixed. Add the seaweed, green onion, carrots, and cilantro, tossing to combine well. Sprinkle salad with sesame seeds.
Julie Daniluk, RHN: Nutritionist and TV personality, Julie Daniluk is the award-winning, bestselling author of <a href="https://www.nationalnutrition.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=julie+daniluk">Meals That Heal Inflammation</a> & <a href="https://www.nationalnutrition.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=julie+daniluk">Slimming Meals That Heal</a>. Her 3rd book, <a href="https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/hot-detox-a-21-day/9781443450676-item.html">Hot Detox</a>, was on the Canadian Bestseller’s list for 11 weeks in 2017 and is already in its second printing. Julie is finishing her 4th book due for release in September 2021 by Penguin/Random House Canada. Julie hosts Healthy Gourmet, a reality cooking show that looks at the ongoing battle between taste and nutrition. Over the past 10 years the show has aired in 78 countries and in 11 different languages. Julie has appeared on hundreds of television and radio shows, including The Dr. Oz Show. She is in her 10th season as a resident expert for The Marilyn Denis Show. Check out more information at <a href="https://www.juliedaniluk.com/">juliedaniluk.com</a> and connect with her on Facebook and Instagram @juliedaniluk