Recipe: Veggie and Vermicelli Rolls
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Refreshing Rice Paper Rolls’.
These are beautiful to look at and even better to eat! I like to serve these rolls with peanut dipping sauce.
- 4 sheets rice paper
- 4 oz vermicelli (bean thread noodles made from green beans and peas)
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/4 English cucumber, julienned (fermented cucumber slices add more zip)
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage or sprouts of choice
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp hot chilli oil
- 1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- Dried chilli flakes
- Black pepper and sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Baby spinach leaves (or basil leaves, or other herb leaf)
1) Put vermicelli into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak 5 minutes or until softened. Drain and cut into 2-inch pieces (I like to snip it with scissors).
2) Place all prepared vegetables except spinach leaves in a bowl; add flavouring oils, soy sauce, and seasonings to suit taste. Toss well and marinate 15 minutes.
3) Place a couple of spinach leaves on the centre of the prepared rice paper and top with a layer of the mixed vegetables.
4) Layer some vermicelli on top of the vegetables. Roll up. (For more precise rolling directions, check out the step-by-step instructions given on the rice paper packaging.)