Recipe: Raw Chocolate Mousse Tart
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Superfoods for Summertime‘.
- Base 1 cup almonds, soaked for 2 – 4 hours
- 10 medjool dates, soaked for 2 – 4 hours
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Mousse 1 can organic coconut milk, kept in the fridge overnight
- 4 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Toppings 1 Tbsp coconut flakes
- 1 Vega Maca Chocolate Bar or dark chocolate chips
1) Process base ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it reaches the consistency of a chunky paste (avoid turning it into a smoothie!). Place in a round 9” tart pan, pressing gently and distributing evenly. Set aside in fridge.
2) Place mousse ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until creamy. You can add more maple syrup for sweetness, but I find the medjool dates are sweet enough.
3) Pour creamy mixture onto base, spreading it out evenly.
4) Sprinkle with coconut flakes and dark chocolate chips, pressing down gently.
5) Place in freezer overnight in parchment paper or wax paper, and enjoy the next day.
6) Store in the freezer at all times. This is supposed to be an ‘ice cream-like’ tart, and keeping it frozen gives it that melt-in-your-mouth goodness!