Recipe: Golden Spicy Split Pea and Pear SoupSat Dharam Kaur, N.D. March 3, 2014
This delicious soup has become a celebrity at my house, taking its place at the table with guests, and loved by everyone. (Yields 6 servings)
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger root
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup peeled, cored and cubed pear
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Bragg liquid aminos
- minced cilantro
1) In a large pot, sauté the onions in oil for about 8 minutes until golden, stirring frequently.
2) Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander, and ginger and cook for another minute.
3) Add the split peas, water, sweet potatoes, pear, cinnamon and chili powder, cover, and bring to a boil.
4) Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the split peas are tender.
5) In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, lime juice and Bragg liquid aminos.
6) When the split peas are tender, add the tomato mixture.
7) Purée the soup in a blender or food processor, working in batches and adding more water if needed.
8) Return the soup to the pot and gently reheat. Garnish with minced cilantro before serving.
For several decades Sat Dharam has been integrating and creating a fusion of her three great passions: Kundalini Yoga, Naturopathic Medicine, and Environmental Sustainability. She has developed and/or teaches several programs: Kundalini Yoga Classes, The Healthy Breast Program, Four Season Yoga Cleanse, Beyond Addiction, and Compassionate Inquiry with Dr. Gabor Maté, taught in Canada and around the world. She invites you to participate and/or train with her on one or more of these extraordinary journeys to wholeness and fitness. She believes that together we can form dedicated, purposeful global communities to inspire, educate and uplift others. She looks forward to working with you to discover a way of living that helps sustain you and the planet. For more information, visit: <a href="https://satdharamkaur.com/">satdharamkaur.com</a>