Recipe: Golden Spicy Split Pea and Pear SoupSat Dharam Kaur, N.D. March 3, 2014
This delicious soup has become a celebrity at my house, taking its place at the table with guests, and loved by everyone. (Yields 6 servings)
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger root
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup peeled, cored and cubed pear
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Bragg liquid aminos
- minced cilantro
1) In a large pot, sauté the onions in oil for about 8 minutes until golden, stirring frequently.
2) Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander, and ginger and cook for another minute.
3) Add the split peas, water, sweet potatoes, pear, cinnamon and chili powder, cover, and bring to a boil.
4) Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the split peas are tender.
5) In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, lime juice and Bragg liquid aminos.
6) When the split peas are tender, add the tomato mixture.
7) Purée the soup in a blender or food processor, working in batches and adding more water if needed.
8) Return the soup to the pot and gently reheat. Garnish with minced cilantro before serving.
Sat Dharam is a naturopathic doctor, Kundalini Yoga lead trainer, and author practising in Owen Sound, Ontario. She developed the Healthy Breast Program, designed to help educate women in breast cancer prevention through Kundalini Yoga and lifestyle change, and teaches it internationally. She was awarded the Naturopathic Doctor of the Year award in Ontario in 2000 for her work in breast health education. She also developed the “Beyond Addiction: The Yogic Path to Recovery” program, and has been working closely with Dr. Gabor Maté in delivering this program as well as a psychotherapeutic modality created by Dr. Maté called Compassionate Inquiry. Sat Dharam has written several best-selling books: A Call to Women: The Healthy Breast Program and Workbook, The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Breast Cancer, and The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Women's Health.