From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Preserve Your Harvest the Old Fashioned Way‘.
This is another delightful Old World drink. You can mix or match fruits like pears, nectarines, peaches with dried fruits like apricots and raisins for endless variety, always favouring organic picks where possible. Kids love this! In our house it is served in place of pop so I always have a jar going. For the batch shown in the photo, I used:
- 3 quartered, unpeeled, rosy-skinned apples from my own backyard tree
- 3 whole purple plums
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup organic golden raisins
- a small knob of grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons unpasteurized honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1) Put all ingredients in a half gallon jar.
2) Cover with water, leaving 1-inch headspace. Stir well with wooden spoon.
3) Put on lid and let sit at room temperature 2 to 3 days, shaking twice a day to prevent bacteria from forming on surface. Once you see bubbles rising – it’s working.
4) When it tastes sweet, tangy, and slightly fizzy, it’s ready.
5) You can strain it but I never do. If a piece of fruit pops out into the glass, I call it a bonus!
6) It will keep for up to a couple weeks in fridge but it never lasts that long in my house. And we always eat the leftover fruit as an extra treat!