From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Preserve Your Harvest the Old Fashioned Way‘.
These make wonderful additions to winter salads and tasty garnishes for sandwiches, wraps and other foods needing a little something special. This recipe makes two (500 ml) canning jars for sampling.
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons whey
- piece of cinnamon stick, a few cloves, or pinch of nutmeg
1) Core and slice enough apples to fill jars. Place them into a bowl (in the photo, I’ve shown the skins left on, but you can peel them if you wish)
2) Sprinkle the apples with sea salt, mix well. Pack apples into jars.
3) To each jar add 2 tablespoons whey.
4) Cover with water, leaving 1/2 inch headspace for pressure. Put on lids and leave in warm place 3 days.
5) When fermenting has stopped, store apples in fridge or cool place – grandma stashed many jars of these tasty apples in the root cellar to do over winter.
6) You can, of course, add a piece of cinnamon stick, a few cloves, or pinch of nutmeg to the jar for hint of special flavour.