Recipe: Corn ChowderPat Crocker December 4, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘FIRE UP YOUR WINTER MEALS‘.
Sweet and hot, we add a dash of sour to this ultimate of comfort foods. Add parsley or other fresh green herbs, or add shredded, cooked chicken for a hearty meal. (Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 fresh or dried cayenne pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flour mix or all-purpose flour
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 2 cups frozen corn, organic preferably
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and cayenne pepper, cooking and stirring for four minutes or until onions are soft.
1) Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and broth and bring to a boil.
2) Add potatoes, reduce heat to keep the soup simmering and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3) Stir in corn and heat through. Ladle into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of shredded cheese, if using.
Pat Crocker’s mission in life is to eat more mean greens. Author of 23 cookbooks, Crocker holds a degree in Food, Nutrition, Consumer, and Family Studies (Ryerson University, Toronto) and is a culinary herbalist with more than 1.25 million books in print and several translated into over 11 languages. She holds 2 awards from the International Herb Association and received the Gertrude H. Foster award from the Herb Society of America for Excellence in Herbal Literature. Her books, The Juicing Bible and The Vegan Cook’s Bible (Robert Rose) have won “Best in the World” awards from the International Gourmand Culinary Guild. Her book, The Herbalist's Kitchen (Sterling, 2018) earned Silver in the Health and Special Diet category from Taste Canada. Look for Pat’s latest book, Cooking with Cannabis (Sterling 2020) in bookstores this summer. Visit https://patcrocker.com/