Recipe: Corn ChowderPat Crocker December 4, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘FIRE UP YOUR WINTER MEALS‘.
Sweet and hot, we add a dash of sour to this ultimate of comfort foods. Add parsley or other fresh green herbs, or add shredded, cooked chicken for a hearty meal. (Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 fresh or dried cayenne pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flour mix or all-purpose flour
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 2 cups frozen corn, organic preferably
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and cayenne pepper, cooking and stirring for four minutes or until onions are soft.
1) Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and broth and bring to a boil.
2) Add potatoes, reduce heat to keep the soup simmering and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3) Stir in corn and heat through. Ladle into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of shredded cheese, if using.
As a professional Home Economist (BAA, Ryerson U., Toronto) and Culinary Herbalist, Pat’s passion for healthy food is fused with her knowledge and love of herbs. She has honed her wellness practice over more than four decades of growing, photographing, and writing about what she calls, the helping plants. In fact, Crocker infuses the medicinal benefits of herbs in every original recipe she develops. An award-winning author, Pat has written 23 herb/healthy cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook,The Juicing Bible, and her latest, Cooking with Cannabis (<a href="https://www.sterlingpublishing.com/9781454940753/?category=STSU1CUL">Sterling</a>) and The Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling, 2018). <a href="www.patcrocker.com">www.patcrocker.com</a>