Recipe: Red Curry PastePat Crocker December 4, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘FIRE UP YOUR WINTER MEALS‘.
(Makes 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 slice candied ginger (or 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated)
- 1/2 red onion
- 15 cayenne peppers
- 12 fresh or dried lemon verbena leaves (or 4 stalks lemongrass, minced)
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro (or flat-leaf parsley)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1 Tbsp minced kaffir lime leaves)
- 1 tsp Malabar Black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1) In a food processor, combine garlic and ginger. Process until finely chopped. Add onion and process until finely chopped. Add cayenne peppers and process until finely chopped. Add lemon verbena, cilantro, rosemary, peppercorns, coriander, cumin, and salt. Process and, with the motor running, add the sesame oil through the opening in the lid. Process until a smooth paste is achieved.
2) Spoon into a clean jar and cap with the lid. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 weeks.
3) One thing I have noticed since taking pleasure in cayenne and other chile peppers is that they become addictive so that I’m cooking with them often. At the same time, I’m able to tolerate hotter and hotter pepper types, which keeps me engaged and keen to learn more about these unpredictable pods.
Pat Crocker’s mission in life is to eat more mean greens. Author of 23 cookbooks, Crocker holds a degree in Food, Nutrition, Consumer, and Family Studies (Ryerson University, Toronto) and is a culinary herbalist with more than 1.25 million books in print and several translated into over 11 languages. She holds 2 awards from the International Herb Association and received the Gertrude H. Foster award from the Herb Society of America for Excellence in Herbal Literature. Her books, The Juicing Bible and The Vegan Cook’s Bible (Robert Rose) have won “Best in the World” awards from the International Gourmand Culinary Guild. Her book, The Herbalist's Kitchen (Sterling, 2018) earned Silver in the Health and Special Diet category from Taste Canada. Look for Pat’s latest book, Cooking with Cannabis (Sterling 2020) in bookstores this summer. Visit https://patcrocker.com/