Burdock StewKaren Stephenson September 3, 2013
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘The Culinary Adventure of Wild Autumn Harvests‘.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-½ cups sliced onions
- 2 (local) garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup burdock root chopped fine
- 1 cup carrot cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup celery cut into 1” pieces
- 4 cups mushrooms
- 3 medium unpeeled sweet potatoes cut into 1” chunks
- 3 fresh tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 cups cooked lima beans
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp each: thyme, salt, pepper, and turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup red wine
1) Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; then add onions, garlic, burdock, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
2) Cook and stir frequently for ten minutes. Add a little more coconut oil if needed.
3) Add remaining ingredients except the flour, ¼ cup water and the wine.
4) Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer one half hour or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally as they are cooking.
5) In a small bowl slowly stir flour into ¼ cup water until smooth.
6) Add to the stew with the wine; cook and stir 5 minutes. Then serve.
Karen Stephenson is an author, writer, public speaker, and expert wild food educator. She is a chartered herbalist and is a certified Acute Canine Herbalist. Karen has lectured for schools, a multitude of community groups, and is a sought after speaker for many notable events including the International Herbal Association and online events hosted by Lakehead University. She has been interviewed on national radio, has been written about in a variety of media and has appeared on television. Karen's website is: <a href="https://www.ediblewildfood.com">www.ediblewildfood.com</a>