From the Vitality Food Feature ‘A HEALTHY VEGETARIAN FEAST‘.
This North African soup is both exotic and delicious. (Serves 12)
- 1 cup navy beans, soaked overnight in 8 cups of water, and mixed with 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds, pulverized
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 + 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 4 Tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
1) In a saucepan, place beans with their water, and bring to boil. Cook over medium heat for one hour.
2) After one hour, add remaining ingredients, except for the slivered almonds, and bring to a boil.
3) Lower heat to medium-low and cook covered for another hour, or until the beans are well cooked, adding more water if necessary.
4) Purée in a blender, then re-heat.
5) Place in a serving bowl, garnish with almonds and serve immediately.