From the Vitality Food Feature ‘A HEALTHY VEGETARIAN FEAST‘.
If a thicker stew is desired, most of the water in which the chickpeas are cooked can be drained before stirring into the remaining ingredients. (Serves 12)
- 2 cups chickpeas (preferably split), soaked for 24 hours, then drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large sweet red peppers, seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
1) Place chickpeas in a pot, then top over with about two inches of water.
2) Bring to boil, then cover and cook over medium heat for about two hours or until chickpeas are tender, adding more water if necessary.
3) In the meantime, heat oil in a saucepan, then stir-fry sweet and hot peppers, onion, and garlic over medium heat until vegetables turn limp.
4) Stir in remaining ingredients, then cover. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5) Stir in chickpeas with their water, then simmer for further ten minutes, stirring a few times.
6) Serve immediately.