From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Preserve Your Harvest the Old Fashioned Way‘.
- green cabbage (shredded)
- 3 to 5 Tbsp sea salt (or to suit taste)
1) Layer shredded green cabbage in a crock, sprinkling each layer with sea salt (approx 3 to 5 Tbsp, or to suit taste, for every 6 – 8 pounds of cabbage).
2) Weigh the cabbage down with a rock and cover with a cloth.
3) Push rock down every few hours until cabbage is covered in its own brine.
4) Allow to ferment at room temperature for about 2 weeks, or until working has stopped. When it’s ready, place crock in cold place or transfer sauerkraut to clean jars and store in fridge.