Recipe: Spring Greens and Peas SoupPat Crocker May 1, 2016
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Freshen Up Your Spring Menu with Plant-Based Meals‘.
In the northern hemisphere, when the sun makes its climb towards the spring equinox, the earth goes green with anticipation of renewal. This is when our thoughts turn to love and our diet turns to light, cleansing foods. Of all the seasons, this is the one that delights me most when I fill my basket with spring greens like baby spinach, kale, sorrel, chives, lemon balm, parsley, tender maché, dandelion, asparagus and fiddleheads. (Makes: 4 servings)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive or coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 cups fresh, shelled green peas
- 1 to 2 cups spring greens (see above), coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup plain yogurt, divided
- 4 Tbsp whole, shelled pistachio nuts
- 4 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
1) Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until soft.
2) Add water or broth and the peas and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the greens and simmer until the peas are tender and the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
3) Working in batches, purée the peas/greens mixture using a blender or food processor. For a fine textured soup, strain the peas back into the saucepan. Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt and heat through.
4) Ladle into soup bowls and divide the remaining yogurt evenly among the 4 bowls. Top each bowl with 3 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon nuts, and 1 tablespoon basil.
As a professional Home Economist (BAA, Ryerson U., Toronto) and Culinary Herbalist, Pat’s passion for healthy food is fused with her knowledge and love of herbs. She has honed her wellness practice over more than four decades of growing, photographing, and writing about what she calls, the helping plants. In fact, Crocker infuses the medicinal benefits of herbs in every original recipe she develops. An award-winning author, Pat has written 23 herb/healthy cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook,The Juicing Bible, and her latest, Cooking with Cannabis (<a href="https://www.sterlingpublishing.com/9781454940753/?category=STSU1CUL">Sterling</a>) and The Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling, 2018). <a href="www.patcrocker.com">www.patcrocker.com</a>