Recipe: Painted Fruit
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘BOOST YOUR METABOLISM THIS FALL‘.
This is a fun and delicious way to serve fruit for breakfast. Spirulina is one of nature’s most powerful superfoods. It contains a highly digestible form of complete protein and various minerals that boost the immune system to fight off bacteria and viruses. When the fruit is added to the sauce and mixed with the salad, it looks like it has been painted rich green. (Makes 4 servings)
- 4 cups Northern Fruit (apple, pear, plum, peach, or berries)
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup nut or seed butter
- 1 Tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 2 Tbsp apple juice
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Additional energy boosts:
- 1 tsp bee pollen, coconut flakes, or maca powder
- 1 tsp lemon flavoured fish oil or hemp oil
- Cut up the fruit into cubes and mix together in a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon or lime juice over the fruit to protect it from oxidation.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the nut butter, honey or coconut nectar, apple juice, spirulina, and hemp.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg, and combine.
- Pour over fruit and mix.
- Top with a sprinkle of bee pollen, coconut or maca powder, if desired.