From the Vitality Food Feature ‘GIFTS FROM THE KITCHEN‘.
(Makes 2 cups)
- 4 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup pine nuts or sunflower seeds
- 3 oz (90 g) hard Italian cheese (Parmesan, Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino), cut into small cubes
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh parsley
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh mint or oregano
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup olive oil (approx)
- freshly ground sea salt
1) In the bowl of a food processor or blender, process garlic using the ‘pulse’ button or an on-off technique until coarsely chopped.
2) Add pine nuts and cheese. Process, using the ‘pulse’ button or an on-off technique until nuts and cheese are coarsely chopped. Add parsley, basil and mint to the bowl.
3) Drizzle lemon juice over and process for 30 seconds or just until leaves are coarsely chopped.
4) With the motor running, add oil in a steady stream through the opening in the lid. Keep adding oil and blending until the pesto has reached the desired consistency. Stir in salt to taste.
5) Pack into sterilized jars, screw on cap, add your own customized handwritten label, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
6) (If this is to be a gift, be sure to write storage instructions on the label.)