Measles Hysteria – What’s Really Going On?)Edda West April 1, 2015
What’s Really Going On?
As we’re all aware, the bitter debate about vaccine resistance in both mainstream and social media has been escalating, as has the call for mandatory vaccination and elimination of personal and religious exemptions.
The unvaccinated are blamed for recurring measles outbreaks despite the fact that fully vaccinated people are also getting the disease and able to transmit it. Hysterical news reports have called for banning unvaccinated children from school, jailing parents, and censuring doctors who condone an alternative vaccine schedule. A February 11, 2015 TIME Magazine article called for the outing of parents who don’t vaccinate, saying: “The names and addresses of parents who don’t vaccinate their children should be made available on the internet through a public registry.” Non-vaccinating families often find themselves treated like pariahs, their children barred from previously friendly playgroups – the rationale being, “your unvaccinated child is a threat to our vaccinated children.” Never before has the vaccine issue been as polarized.
What is driving this frenzy against those who question vaccine safety and efficacy or refuse to submit to vaccination? I suggest it’s an orchestrated campaign by the medical industry to suppress the factual history of infectious diseases like measles and issues of vaccine safety and efficacy. For decades, increasing numbers of parents have witnessed their children’s developmental regression following MMR and other vaccines, only to be told that it’s a “coincidence.” As more information emerges about the manipulation of data by both the pharmaceutical industry and its regulators, the backlash against dissenters increases.
Benefits of Measles Infection
Important facts about measles and its vaccines have been suppressed:
- First, measles mortality rates had plummeted to almost nil prior to the widespread use of measles vaccines.
- Second, the general population enjoyed the benefit of long lasting true “herd immunity” from having had measles in childhood, prior to the mass use of measles vaccines. Infants born to naturally immune mothers were well protected in the first year of life. The vast majority of children who got measles sailed through the illness while gaining the tremendous health benefit of lifelong immunity, along with the ability to protect their offspring.
- Third, these cross-generational benefits insured a strong immune foundation for the whole population as well as protection from various types of cancer.
Medical research journalist, Neil Miller, writes: “Children who are permitted to contract measles naturally are significantly protected against various cancers later in life. In fact, the wild measles virus has oncolytic (anti-cancer) properties. Tumour remissions after measles infection are well documented in the medical literature. Children who are required to be vaccinated against measles have had this anti-cancer protection stripped from them for life. They have been forced to trade a reduced risk of contracting measles for an increased risk of developing cancer later in childhood or as an adult.” Miller cites numerous published medical articles listing the types of cancers adults are “significantly protected against” if they have contracted measles, rubella, or chickenpox early in life. These include cancer of the prostate, gastrointestinal tract, skin, lung, ear-nose-throat, lymphatics, as well as Hodgkins disease. These protective benefits conferred by measles in childhood have now been dismantled by mass vaccination.
Which is More Hazardous to Health – Measles or the MMR Vaccine?
It has become increasingly clear during this latest round of measles mania that medical revisionism is at the root of this hysteria. By this I mean the manipulation of historical and epidemiological facts in order to drive a specific agenda. The agenda is about inflating the fear of ordinary, beneficial childhood diseases while denying vaccine risks and failure. Suppressed is the fact that vaccine-derived immunity wanes over time, leaving swaths of people susceptible to measles. It is about demonizing the disease in order to erase societal memory of the long term benefit of natural ‘herd immunity’ previously enjoyed by the vast majority of people, now decimated by mass vaccination.
The agenda is very much about negating reports of the risks and injuries caused by the MMR vaccine, either given alone or injected at the same time as Varicella (chickenpox vaccine) and other vaccines. A large Ontario study found that one in 168 children ended up in the emergency room after MMR vaccination. Several children died during the three year study period. It is noteworthy that the study design allowed the “fewer than five deaths” to be discounted.[5,6] By comparison, Stats Canada records show that, in the 20 year period between 1990 and 2009, there were six deaths attributed to measles. Extrapolating from these numbers, one could posit that more deaths occurred following MMR vaccine than from measles during this time frame.
In the U.S., Neil Miller offered this overview of reported vaccine reactions and deaths in just two years: “It is instructive to note that in the U.S. there were 5,078 adverse reactions reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) after MMR or MMRV vaccination during the years 2011 and 2012. This included 20 deaths. There were no deaths attributed to measles in the U.S. during the past twelve years.”[4,8]
In 2014, a senior CDC scientist blew the whistle on his involvement in the manipulation and cover-up of a vaccine-autism study, which found that African-American boys receiving their first MMR vaccine before 36 months are 3.4 times more likely to develop autism vs. after 36 months. One analyst calculated that this one lie is “responsible for at least 250,000 cases of autism in African-American male children. And that number is a vast underestimate of the true extent of the damage.”
The continuous tension of fear of infectious diseases created by the medical industry disempowers the public from making well- informed healthcare choices. The agenda is about imposing more and more vaccines onto the public, while at the same time threatening the removal of personal and religious exemptions. The overarching goal seems to be flat out medical tyranny. A 2013 report of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) states that nearly 300 vaccines are under development, 137 of which are to combat infectious diseases. How many of these vaccines would be mandated against one’s will?
Immunologists admit that their knowledge of the immune system is extremely limited. Scientists interviewed for a 2011 Stanford Medicine article said the immune system is “staggeringly complex [and] remains a black box”…We can’t even be sure how to tell when the immune system’s not working right, let alone why not, because we don’t have good metrics of what a healthy immune system looks like.” These simple facts underscore the absurdity of assuming vaccine safety and effectiveness. Vaccine resisters are exposing these facts and are thus the prime targets of the medical industry’s vicious PR spin leveled at those who question vaccination or disagree with the agenda.
Naturally Acquired Immunity Versus Temporary Vaccine Immunity
The panic that grips health officials when measles breaks out isn’t surprising since they know there’s an unquantifiable segment of the fully vaccinated population who are no longer immune and are susceptible to the disease. Five decades of mass vaccination has dismantled the long lasting immunity previously enjoyed by the majority of people. Decades of outbreaks of measles in highly vaccinated populations proved long ago that vaccine-derived immunity is fragile and unreliable.
Gregory A. Poland, MD, of the Mayo Clinic’s Vaccine Research Group has demonstrated that “…the immune response to measles vaccine varies substantially in actual field use. Multiple studies demonstrate that 2 – 10% of those immunized with two doses of measles vaccine fail to develop protective antibody levels, and that immunity can wane over time and result in infection (so-called secondary vaccine failure) when the individual is exposed to measles.” He cites the example of the 2011 measles outbreak in Quebec where over 50% of the 98 students who contracted the disease were fully vaccinated with two doses of the MMR vaccine. In a study of 763 healthy children who received two doses of the vaccine, Dr. Poland found that “8.9% of 763 healthy children immunized a mean of 7.4 years earlier lacked protective levels of circulating measles-specific neutralizing antibodies, suggesting that even two doses of the current vaccine may be insufficient at the population level.”
Prior to the widespread use of measles vaccines, the majority of doctors acknowledged that measles is a “self-limiting infection of short duration, moderate severity, and low fatality.” The demonizing of measles when outbreaks occur, and the fear generated by the medical industry through its controlled media, is in direct contradiction to the experience and memory of the vast majority of people who got measles, recovered uneventfully, and gained the benefit of lifelong immunity. Lawrence Solomon’s The Untold Story of Measles is an excellent synopsis of the history.
Today, it is the large segment of baby boomers and seniors born in the mid-1960’s and earlier who comprise the “herd” of truly immune people in the population, most of whom had measles in childhood. According to Stats Canada, in 2011, 57.2% of the population was born prior to 1966. To a large extent, it is this large group of people with naturally acquired immunity who are protecting the public from large scale measles outbreaks.
Naturally acquired immunity is a precious health resource that develops over many generations. The scuttling of this highly protective natural immunity, and its replacement with temporary vaccine immunity, is a tragic loss both to contemporary society and to future generations. When the present naturally-immune adult population dies off, and is replaced by a majority with temporary vaccine immunity, it is predicted that there will be a greater proportion of susceptibles than in the pre-vaccine era, along with the potential for large epidemics across all age groups.[15, 32] Five decades on into this vast medical experiment, we are just beginning to understand the consequences.
Strict Media Blackout
Reliable sources report that across North America there’s a strict media blackout prohibiting the voices of vaccine skeptics to be heard. Even when published medical studies  relating to vaccine failure in highly vaccinated populations are brought forward, the information is ignored or discredited if presented by any group or persons deemed vaccine skeptics.
Journalists are advised to follow the guidelines in a “toolkit” published by Voices for Vaccines which coaches them on how to guard against falling prey to “false balance”. The “toolkit” informs journalists that publishing an alternative opinion on the vaccine issue is “false balance” journalism. Those questioning vaccines are quickly branded as anti-vaxxers, therefore not credible, are lumped into the same category as “flat earthers” and therefore not to be listened to or reported on, as that would be considered “false balance”.
Voices for Vaccines is a program of the The Task Force for Global Health, whose mission is to “reduce the burden of vaccine-preventable diseases,” among other things. The Task Force is the third largest charity in the U.S., according to Forbes, with ties to the CDC, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Emory University, Merck, and other big pharma companies.
Controversy Surrounds the HPV Vaccine
For a graphic example of how investigative journalism is shut down, one has to look no further than what recently happened at the Toronto Star. Its report on the plight of young women whose families believe they were injured by Gardasil vaccine was immediately attacked by the medical profession. The report included the story of Annabelle Morin, who died two weeks after her second Gardasil shot. Instead of an outpouring of concern for the young women, or a follow- up investigation into the fast tracked licensing of this highly reactive vaccine, or further discussion of the thousands of adverse reactions reported around the world, the Star was forced to retract the article and issue an apology.
The U.S adverse events reporting system (VAERS) has received thousands of reports of reactions and injuries following HPV vaccination, including sudden collapse with unconsciousness, seizures, muscle pain and weakness, disabling fatigue, Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), facial paralysis, brain inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, blood clots, optic neuritis, multiple sclerosis, strokes, heart and other serious health problems, including death.
SaneVax, a leading watchdog group, reports that as of January 2015 there have been 38,217 adverse reactions to HPV vaccines reported to the VAERS. This includes 5,360 serious reactions, 3,948 hospitalizations, and 680 life threatening events. Overall, 7,624 did not recover and 220 resulted in death.
Canada’s vaccine adverse events reporting system remains mostly inaccessible to the public, so it is impossible to compare reports of vaccine injuries in Canada with what is happening in other countries. You might be wondering why we’re talking about human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine when the big topic is measles? The answer is, “follow the money.” Both the MMR vaccine (the only measles-containing vaccine on the market in North America), and Gardasil (the leading HPV vaccine), are made by Merck & Co.
Merck stands accused of falsifying efficacy data of the mumps portion of the MMR vaccine. The vaccine’s ineffectiveness has been associated with large outbreaks of mumps in fully vaccinated people. The pharma giant is currently in damage control. Two lawsuits have been filed against the company for allegedly falsifying efficacy documents in order to keep competitors from bringing their own versions of the vaccine to market.
Informed Consent is a Basic Human Right
With the ‘free press’ effectively muzzled by its medical industry masters, the public is turning to alternative sources to learn about issues that affect their families’ health. There is growing concern about the following:
Toxicity of common vaccine ingredients like aluminum adjuvants; the ability of polysorbate 80 to cross the blood brain barrier; fetal cell line contamination in vaccines associated not only with “autistic disorders throughout the world, but also with epidemic childhood leukemia and lymphoma”; and the emerging science linking vaccines to autoimmune disorders. [26,27,28,29]
Across North America, families are fighting to preserve their right to voluntary and informed consent when considering drugs delivered by injection, drugs that cannot be removed from the body should something go wrong – drugs that carry a risk of injury and death. Vaccines are drugs by any definition. They are comprised of complex biochemical substances, some of which are genetically engineered to manipulate the human immune system in ways never before encountered in nature. There are no tests to pre-determine which child might be genetically vulnerable to severe injury when injected with as many as eight or nine vaccines at one time.
Families who have witnessed first hand the devastating effects of vaccine injuries to their loved ones, and who have spent countless hours, days and years researching the medical and scientific literature validating the reality of health injuries following vaccination, are in a unique position to make an educated choice about what is best for their children. Making the educated decision to not continue vaccinating their injured children, or subsequent children, is theirs alone to make. Many are no longer willing to participate in the illusion of vaccine protectionism.
The right to make a voluntary and informed decision about medical risk-taking, and all aspects of our children’s healthcare, is an inalienable human right that must be protected from government policy makers unduly influenced by the medical industry. All children deserve to enjoy the basic human right of normal brain development and a strong immune system with which to reach their full potential. All families have the right to strive for this goal.
Edda West is co-founder and President of Vaccine Choice Canada, a not-for-profit educational society which advocates for voluntary and informed consent prior to vaccination. www.vaccinechoicecanada.com
1. Measles outbreak traced to fully vaccinated patient for first time, 11 April, 2014; Association for the Advancement of Science: https://tinyurl.com/nar8f72
2. Anne Dachel; Unvaccinated today….Jews 1940 Budapest: https://tinyurl.com/kaobv9d
3. Unvaccinated Families’ Addresses Should Be Made Public; Time, Feb. 11, 2015: https://tinyurl.com/ojf2ttw
4. Neil Miller; Why People Choose Not to Vaccinate: https://tinyurl.com/pbtk8m3 and Measles (MMR) Vaccination and Increased Rates of Cancer: Scientific Documentation of a More Accurate Vaccine Risks-to-Benefit Tradeoff: https://tinyurl.com/pplvv4d
5. Canadian MMR study Just Another Placebo: https://tinyurl.com/nsscy6k
6. Kumanan Wilson et al. Adverse Events following 112 and 18 month Vaccinations; a Population-based, self controlled Case Series Analysis: https://tinyurl.com/7byfau8″> https://tinyurl.com/7byfau8
7. Stats Canada records of measles deaths, 1920-1999, 2000-2009.
8. NVIC – Measles Fact Sheets: https://tinyurl.com/k8l23jd
9. Marcella Piper-Terry; How Many African American Boys Have Autism as a Result of the CDC’s Lies?: https://tinyurl.com/okxj4bs
10. Vaccines: A report on the Prevention and Treatement of Disease through Vaccines: https://tinyurl.com/ppv5fqn
11. Bruce Goldman; Stanford Medicine; Tapping the Immune System’s Secrets: https://tinyurl. com/lcn3qv2
12. Suzanne Humphries, MD & Roman Bystrianyk; Dissolving Illusions, pg. 400 quote by Alexander Langmuir, MD
13. Lawrence Solomon; The Untold Story of Measles; the Financial Post, April 16, 2014: https://tinyurl.com/pde6seu
14. Statistics Canada; The Canadian Population in 2011: Age & Sex: https://tinyurl.com/d25 nhpa
15. David L. Levy; The Future of Measles in Highly Immunized Populations – A Modeling Approach, June 29, 1983; American Journal of Epdemiology: https://tinyurl.com/nazzwnq
16. GreenMedInfo; 300 pages of study abstracts culled directly from the National Library of Medicine’s bibliographic database on the wide-ranging adverse health effects linked to vaccines in the today’s schedule: https://tinyurl.com/nmkf5je
17. Sylvia Stead; Public Editor: Stories on Vaccination Aren’t Propaganda: https://tinyurl.com/ngqpn7u
18. Voices for Vaccines: https://www.voicesforvaccines.org/about/
19. The Task Force for Glogal Health: https://www.taskforce.org/
20. David Bruser & Jesse McLean; HPV Vaccine Gardasil has a Dark Side, Star investigation finds out, Feb. 5, 2015: https://tinyurl.com/of88r9r
21. A note from the publisher; The Toronto Star, Feb. 20, 2015: https://tinyurl.com/nokdmd3
22. HPV Vaccine VAERS Reports up to January 15, 2015: https://sanevax.org/
23. Merck’s Mumps Fraud Gets Closer to a Jury: https://tinyurl.com/phu3w65
24. Lawrence Solomon; Merck Has Some Explaining to Do Over its MMR Vaccine Claims: https://tinyurl.com/qgq8c5t
25. Antitrust, FCA Claims on Merck Mumps Vaccine to Advance: https://tinyurl.com/mxp9zsw
26. C.A. Shaw & L Tomljenovic; Aluminum in the Central Nervous System: Toxicity in Humans and animals, Vaccine adjuvants, and Autoimmunity: https://tinyurl.com/pwk6s25
27. When Vaccine Ingredients Cross the Blood Brain Barrier – a Formula for Disaster: https://tinyurl.com/nvtj6jn
28. Theresa A. Deisher et al; Impact of Environmental Factors on the Prevalence of Autistic Disorders After 1979: https://tinyurl.com/nf4udj2
29. Celeste McGovern; A New Autoimmunity Syndrome Linked to Aluminum in Vaccines: https://tinyurl.com/qhny3sk
30. Roman Bystrianyk; Measles and Measles Vaccines: Fourteen Things to Consider: https://tinyurl.com/oh5zvcr
31. Gregory A. Poland MD et al; The Re-Emergence of Measles in Developed Countries: Time to Develop the Next-Generation Measles Vaccines?: https://tinyurl.com/ok4b294
32. Heffernan JM & Keeling MJ. Implications of Vaccination and Waning Immunity: https://tinyurl.com/kgx44xa
Edda started researching vaccine safety issues after her daughter's severe reaction to MMR vaccine in 1977. In response to the 1982 passage of Ontario's Immunization of School Pupils Act, she and a group of concerned parents formed the Committee Against Compulsory Vaccination (CACV) in protest of the unconstitutionality of the new legislation which failed to provide comprehensive vaccine exemptions. Following a two year lobby effort, in 1984 the CACV won an amendment to the Act which, to this day, guarantees all families the legal right to exempt their children from vaccination for reasons of conscience or sincerely held belief as well as for religious reasons. No child in Ontario can be deprived of education if they have not received any or all of the "required" vaccines. Edda West is co-founder and President of Vaccine Choice Canada (formerly VRAN), a not-for-profit educational society which advocates for voluntary and informed consent prior to vaccination through its website, Facebook page and acclaimed newsletters: www.vaccinechoicecanada.com