Recipe: Lemon Vegan Gell-O
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘SLIMMING MEALS THAT HEAL‘.
(Makes 10 servings)
- 4 cups organic apple juice
- 1/3 cup agar flakes (vegetarian gelatin made from seaweed)
- 2 tsp. kudzu* dissolved in ¼ cup of cold juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ pint container of blueberries or strawberries cut up
1) Simmer apple juice and agar together on low heat for 15 minutes.
2) Add kudzu and stir until clear.
3) Combine lemon juice and maple syrup with apple juice and agar/kudzu mixture.
4) Line the bottom of 10 ramekins (small ceramic serving bowls) with berries, and pour the mixture over the berries.
5) Top with slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds.
6) Place in fridge for 1 hour to set.
7) (*Note: kudzu root is a macrobiotic remedy found in health food stores. It is traditionally used to reduce symptoms of alcohol hangover, including headache, upset stomach, dizziness, and vomiting. Substitute with arrowroot powder if unavailable.)