Recipe: Lemon Salsa VerdePat Crocker April 30, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Lemony Herbs Add Zest and Zing to Spring Meals‘.
(Makes 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh bergamot leaves
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh lemon balm leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1) In a food processor, coarsely chop nuts and ginger. Add bergamot, lemon balm, mint and salt, and pulse for 3 or 4 seconds to mix with nuts.
2) With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in the lid. Stop and check the consistency – it should be fairly thin to use as a dressing.
3) Add lemon juice, pulse, and add more oil, if needed.
4) Use this vibrant sauce with grilled fish or chicken, as a dip for fresh vegetables, or tossed with grilled vegetables.
As a professional Home Economist (BAA, Ryerson Univ., Toronto) and Culinary Herbalist, Pat’s passion for healthy food is fused with her knowledge and love of herbs. She has honed her herb practice over more than four decades of growing, studying, photographing, experimenting with, and writing about what she calls the helping plants. In fact, Crocker marries the medicinal benefits of herbs in every original recipe she develops. An award-winning author, Pat has written 22 herb/healthy cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook, The Juicing Bible, and most recently The Herbalist’s Kitchen (Sterling, 2018), and Healing Cannabis Edibles. She has over 1.5 million books in print and translated to over 11 languages. Watch for her next book, Cooking and Healing with Cannabis to be launched in 2020. And to find out more about Cannabis and Pat Crocker’s books and appearances, visit www.patcrocker.com