Recipe: Healing Salad in a Jar
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘SLIMMING MEALS THAT HEAL‘.
(Makes 2 servings)
If you like to take a salad for lunch but don’t have time to prepare it in the morning, I have the solution for you. By using a mason jar and putting the dressing in first, you can make salads the day before. When you are ready to eat, just give the salad a shake and enjoy. Feel free to change up the ingredients of the salad. Just remember to always place the greens at the top of the jar to keep them from coming into contact with the dressing.
- 4 Tbsp Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
- 2 cups spinach or arugula
1) Find two wide-mouth 32-oz mason jars with tight-fitting lids.
2) Pour half the dressing into bottom of each jar, then add onions, beans and apples so they can marinate.
3) Add carrots, walnuts, quinoa as the middle layers. At the very top, add spinach or arugula.
4) Shake well just before serving to coat ingredients.