Recipe: Gathered Greens with Pickled Fiddleheads and Beets – Part 1: Pickled Fiddleheads and Beets
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup fresh fiddleheads
- 1 cup baby beets
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup honey or coconut nectar
- 1 Tbsp pickling spice
1) Clean fiddleheads and trim and peel beets. In a saucepan cover fiddleheads and beets with water and add salt.
2) Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Using a colander, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool. When cool, transfer to a bowl.
3) In a saucepan, combine vinegar and water and bring to a boil.
4) Stir in honey and pickling spice. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened.
5) Pour pickling mixture over vegetables in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
6) Bring to room temperature before serving.