Recipe: Chunky Sweet Potato Salad
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Cool and Easy Summertime Dining‘.
This puts Old World potato salad to shame! Delightfully pretty and ever-so-good.
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes cut into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 chopped sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons (more or less to suit taste) maple syrup
1) Put sweet potatoes into a bowl
2) Toss with 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and black pepper to taste.
3) Turn the mixture out onto a baking sheet and roast in preheated 425F oven until fork tender, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcook or they will go mushy.)
4) Put into a salad bowl along with the celery, diced red onion, and chopped sweet pepper
5) Mix together ingredients for dressing
6) Pour over salad, and toss. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts
7) Variation: Chopped leftover hard boiled eggs can be added to the bowl, or serve the salad topped with grilled chicken breasts for a larger meal.