From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Indian Cuisine Heats Up the Kitchens of the North’.
Here’s a popular Indian curry that is so economical, your family will never have to know they’re eating a super thrifty meal! I like to cook my chickpeas (as they are known in English, or garbanzo beans in Spanish) from the dried state as in the recipe below because I can control the salt content. But you can cut down on preparation time by using canned chickpeas, if you prefer.
1) Heat olive oil or butter or ghee in a large saucepan.
2) Sauté 3 chopped onions in the oil until golden brown.
3) Reduce heat to low, add grated ginger root, minced garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder, jalapeño peppers, and stir-fry two minutes.
4) Stir in vegetable stock.
5) Add diced potato, minced sweet red pepper, and chickpeas.
6) If using dried chickpeas, soak them overnight in cold water, drain, cover with fresh water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
7) Add chickpeas to the pan of spiced veggies and stir.
8) Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
9) Sprinkle with lemon juice upon serving.
10) Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, if desired. Goes great with chapati.
Linda Gabris is an avid cook who enjoys sharing her grandmother’s old recipes and medicinal preparations as they were recorded in the handwritten journals passed down to her. Linda also enjoys gardening and foraging for edible wild foods. Over the years, she has taught cooking courses in Prince George, B.C., with a focus on healthy eating, food preparation, and International cuisine.
Established in 1989, Vitality magazine is one of Canada's largest publications on natural health, alternative medicine, and green living. At vitalitymagazine.com we bring you highlights of our current issue plus exclusive web material, and archives of selected content from past issues.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: All advice provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be, or serve as a substitute for professional medical or psychological advice, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified professionals with any questions you may have regarding a medical or psychological condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of information you accessed through this website, Facebook page, Twitter or from any communication with Vitality magazine.
DISCLOSURE NOTICE: We are a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to affiliated sites. Our participation does not influence our content, but it helps offset the costs involved in providing you with free information.
Healthy Product News
© Copyright 2022, Vitality Magazine. All Rights Reserved.