Protected Group Immunity, Not a Vaccine, is the Way to Stop the COVID-19 PandemicRichard Z. Cheng, MD, PhD April 30, 2020
“Sufficient doses of vitamin C and other nutrients such as vitamin D3, zinc, magnesium, and selenium lower the risk of developing viral infections, and can protect patients in the initial stages of infection from progressing to more serious disease.” – Dr. Richard Cheng, MD, PhD
Due to their lengthy development of at least 2 years, vaccines are not an effective tool for stopping or controlling new epidemics. Group immunity (as the term “herd” generally implies animals other than humans) may be the only way to stop an ongoing new epidemic. However, unprotected exposure of the public to new pathogens (viruses) may result in high morbidity, mortality and economic losses.
It may also seem irresponsible or unethical for governments not to offer any protection to its citizens. Early and sufficient use of vitamin C (along with vitamin D3, zinc, magnesium and other nutrients) is able to offer a high level of protection. A strategy of combining supplements of vitamin C and other nutrients with traditional herd immunity to form the basis of the “Protected Group Immunity” is worth further study and may become a better preventive measure to stop Covid-19 and future epidemics.
Epidemics/Pandemics are on the Rise
In a short period of only 4 months, Covid-19 pandemic has caused more than 200,000 fatalities, with 2.7 million confirmed cases of SARS-Cov-2 infections, and economic losses in the trillions of USD worldwide.
An article in the Wall Street Journal’s Economy section on March 6, 2020, read “Global viral outbreaks like Coronavirus, once rare, will become more common.”  BBC also reported on March 25, 2020 (Covid-19: the history of pandemics) that the rate of new epidemics like SARS, MERS and Covid-19 has increased 4-fold over the past century. The annual outbreak of epidemics in the last 40 years has doubled. 
In the short 20 years of the 21st century, there has been over 60 epidemics compared to the less than 100 epidemics in the entire 19th and 20th centuries combined. This is about a 650% annual increase in the number of epidemics in the last 20 years compared to the 200 years prior! Moreover, there have been 11 epidemics in the 21st century that caused more than 1,000 fatalities, compared to the 14 epidemics in the 200 years prior. If we use fatality of 1,000 as a marker for severity, there has been an increase of 785%. 
What’s the plan of our governments, the World Health Organization (WHO), the pharmaceutical industry, and the leading medical institutions to deal with the disturbing trend of increasing epidemics?
Probably the most common term used to describe prevention of epidemics is “vaccine.” International agencies like WHO, sovereign governments, major foundations, pharmaceutical industry, as well as leaders in major medical institutions all appear to be focused on vaccine and vaccine only.
We wish we would have a Covid-19 vaccine today. We wish we had a Covid-19 vaccine 4 months ago. But unfortunately, we didn’t and we don’t. The best estimate of a vaccine is at least 18-24 months away, if possible at all.
Vaccine is Not an Ideal Answer to New Epidemics
The nature of vaccine development makes the vaccine strategy against new epidemics a less than ideal one. Let’s look at the process of how a vaccine is developed.
First, a new pathogen (e.g., SARS-Cov-2 virus that has caused the Covid-19 pandemic) appears and causes a local infectious disease outbreak. This eventually catches the attention of the local medical agencies and governments. Scientists then begin to study the new infectious disease, identify the new pathogen, develop a vaccine, which needs to go through clinical trials to demonstrate its safety and effectiveness. If the clinical trial is successful, an application for approval by the FDA is then submitted. If a vaccine is finally approved by the FDA, it is then mass produced and distributed for clinical use. This is a lengthy process, with at least 2 years after a new epidemic breaks out. To make things worse, due the frequent mutations of viruses, especially for RNA viruses, and due to the delay in finally mass-producing a vaccine, the virus has likely mutated to lower the vaccine’s efficacy.
Covid-19 has already caused trillions of dollars in economic damage in a short period of four months. Likely many more lives and much more economic damage will occur in the next 18 to 24 months while we are waiting and expecting a vaccine. What if we will never see an effective vaccine? In the history of medicine, there has never been a vaccine developed in a timely manner to stop an ongoing new epidemic. Successful vaccines today are only effective against an existing infectious disease or recurrent epidemic, not a new epidemic. Even so, for most of the many recent epidemics like SARS, MERS, Ebola, Marburg, Zika, and Dengue, to name just a few, there is no vaccine.
Further, vaccines can only prevent an infection. Vaccines are not treatment for infections.
Ideal Preventive and Treatment Measures Against all Epidemics are Urgently Needed
We clearly need better preventive and treatment measures to deal with the disturbingly increasing trend of epidemics. Ideally good preventive and treatment measures for new epidemics should have the following characteristics:
For new epidemics, vaccines clearly don’t meet the above criteria.
Our natural defense mechanisms including nutrients like vitamin C are among the few options that meet the above characteristics. They can defend us from catching diseases, and can prevent the disease from progression. Other such nutrients include vitamin D3, zinc, magnesium, selenium etc.
Vitamin C has pleiotropic biological effects including – but not limited to – its antiviral and antimicrobial effects, immune-boosting effects, as well as antioxidant effects.
Protected Group Immunity
With vaccines against Covid-19 not anywhere near, the only other hope to stop the Covid-19 pandemic seems to be group immunity: when enough members of a population develop immunity. Yet to leave the public without any protection from the risk of a SARS-Cov-2 infection seems cruel, unethical and may even cause a public outcry.
However, sufficient doses of vitamin C (3000 mg/d in divided doses), and other nutrients such as vitamin D3 (2000-5000 IU/d), zinc (20 mg/d), magnesium (400 mg/d), and selenium (100 mcg/d), lower the risk of the public developing the infection, and can protect patients in the initial stages of infection from progressing to more serious disease. 
Vitamins C and D are known to assist and empower the immune system to prevent viral infection, [22-31] and vitamin C in high oral doses to bowel tolerance [32,33] can denature viruses and prevent damage to the body from oxidative stress. Supplemental high-dose oral or intravenous vitamin C is indicated in severe infections and oxidative stress because they cause the vitamin C level to drop to zero. 
Zinc, magnesium, and selenium are known anti-viral agents. [30,31] With such a treatment that has worked to prevent serious infection of a variety of other viruses, further research is clearly indicated here. Moreover, the WHO currently recommends research on vitamin C as a promising treatment for COVID-19.  When proven, this strategy not only can help stop Covid-19 pandemic, it will also protect us in the future epidemics.
Acknowledgment: thanks to the members of the editorial board of the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service who reviewed and critiqued this manuscript, including the choice of “group immunity” over “herd immunity.”
[Editor’s note: This article is not meant to replace the advice of your doctor. Please consult with your personal physician before making adjustments to your health care routine.]
1. Hilsenrath, J. Global viral outbreaks like coronavirus, once rare, will become more common. Wall Street Journal (2020). https://www.wsj.com/articles/viral-outbreaks-once-rare-become-part-of-the-global-landscape-11583455309
2. Walsh, B. Covid-19: The history of pandemics. (2020). https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200325-covid-19-the-history-of-pandemics
3. Timeline: Major Epidemics in the U.S. (2020) https://www.infoplease.com/math-science/health/diseases/major-us-epidemics#timeline
4. Pauling, L. (1971) The Significance of the Evidence about Ascorbic Acid and the Common Cold. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 68:2678-2681. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4941984
5. Chen Q, Espey MG, Krishna MC et al. (2005) Pharmacologic ascorbic acid concentrations selectively kill cancer cells: action as a pro-drug to deliver hydrogen peroxide to tissues. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:13604-13609. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16157892
6. Chen Q, Espey MG, Sun AY et al. (2007) Ascorbate in pharmacologic concentrations selectively generates ascorbate radical and hydrogen peroxide in extracellular fluid in vivo. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:8749-8754. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17502596
7. Du J, Martin SM, Levine M et al. (2010) Mechanisms of ascorbate-induced cytotoxicity in pancreatic cancer. Clin. Cancer Res. 16:509-520. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20068072
8. Sestili P, Brandi G, Brambilla L et al. (1996) Hydrogen peroxide mediates the killing of U937 tumor cells elicited by pharmacologically attainable concentrations of ascorbic acid: cell death prevention by extracellular catalase or catalase from cocultured erythrocytes or fibroblasts. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 277:719-1725. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8667243
9. Verrax J, Calderon, PB. (2009) Pharmacologic concentrations of ascorbate are achieved by parenteral administration and exhibit antitumoral effects. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 47:32-40 . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19254759
10. HemilÃ¤ H, Chalker E. (2013) Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD000980. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23440782
11. Nabzdyk CS, Bittner EA. (2018) Vitamin C in the critically ill – indications and controversies. World J Crit Care Med 7:52-61. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30370227
12. HemilÃ¤, H. (2017) Vitamin C and Infections. Nutrients 9(4). pii: E339. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28353648
13. Colunga Biancatelli RML, Berrill M, Marik PE. (2020) The antiviral properties of vitamin C. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 18:99-101. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31852327
14. Vincent JL, Moreno R, Takala J et al. (1996) The SOFA (Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the Working Group on Sepsis-Related Problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med. 22:707-710. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8844239
15. Kashiouris MG, L’Heureux M, Cable CA et al. (2020) The Emerging Role of Vitamin C as a Treatment for Sepsis. Nutrients. 12(2). pii: E292. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31978969
16. Sawyer, M., Mike, J. & Chavin, K. (1989) Antioxidant therapy and survival in ARDS (abstract). Crit Care Med. 17:S153.
17. Marik PE, Khangoora V, Rivera R et al. (2017) Hydrocortisone, Vitamin C, and Thiamine for the Treatment of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Retrospective Before-After Study. Chest 151:1229-1238. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27940189
18. Boretti A, Banik BK. (2020) Intravenous Vitamin C for reduction of cytokines storm in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. PharmaNutrition. 12:100190. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32322486
19. Horowitz RI, Freeman PR, Bruzzese J. (2020) Efficacy of glutathione therapy in relieving dyspnea associated with COVID-19 pneumonia: A report of 2 cases. Respir Med Case Rep. 30:101063. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32322478
20. Video conference with Dr. ZY Peng, of the world’s first high-dose IVC trial. (2020) Cheng Integrative Health Center Blog. http://www.drwlc.com/blog/2020/04/16/video-conference-with-dr-zy-peng-of-the-worlds-first-high-dose-ivc-trial
21. Cheng RZ (2020) Can early and high intravenous dose of vitamin C prevent and treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)? Medicine in Drug Discovery 5, 100028. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32328576
22. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service Editorial Review Board (2020) Rationale for Vitamin C Treatment of COVID-19 and Other Viruses. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n21.shtml
23. Player G, Saul AW, Downing D, Schuitemaker G. (2020) Published Research and Articles on Vitamin C as a Consideration for Pneumonia, Lung Infections, and the Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19) Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n20.shtml
24. Front Line COVID Critical Care Group (2020) Early Intervention Protocol for COVID-19 Can Save Lives. April 15, 2020. https://covid19criticalcare.com
25. Carr AC, Maggini S. (2017) Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients 9(11) pii: E1211. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29099763
26. Prier M, Carr A, Baillie N. (2018) No reported renal stones with intravenous vitamin C administration: a prospective case series study. Antioxidants (Basel) 7: 68. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29883396
27. Berger MM. (2009) Vitamin C Requirements in Parenteral Nutrition. Gastroenterology 137:S70-78. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19874953.
28. Grant WB, Baggerly CA (2020) Vitamin D Supplements Could Reduce Risk of Influenza and COVID-19 Infection and Death. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n23.shtml
29. Grant WB, Lahore H, McDonnell SL, et al. (2020) Evidence That Vitamin D Supplementation Could Reduce Risk of Influenza and COVID-19 Infections and Deaths. Nutrients 12(4). pii: E988. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32252338
30. Gombart AF, Pierre A, Maggini S. (2020) A review of micronutrients and the immune system-working in harmony to reduce the risk of infection. Nutrients 12(1). pii: E236. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31963293
31. Calder PC, Carr AC, Gombart AF, Eggersdorfer M. (2020) Optimal Nutritional Status for a Well-Functioning Immune System Is an Important Factor to Protect against Viral Infections. Nutrients 12: 1181. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32340216 https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12041181
32. Cathcart RF. (1981) Vitamin C, titrating to bowel tolerance, anascorbemia, and acute induced scurvy. Medical hypotheses 7:1359-1376. https://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm
33. Hickey S, Roberts HJ, Cathcart RF. (2005) Dynamic Flow: A New Model for Ascorbate. J Orthomol Med. 20:237-244. http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2005/pdf/2005-v20n04-p237.pdf
34. World Health Organization (2020) A Coordinated Global Research Roadmap: 2019 Novel Coronavirus. March, 2020, p 36-37. https://www.who.int/blueprint/priority-diseases/key-action/Coronavirus_Roadmap_V9.pdf
Nutritional Medicine is Orthomolecular Medicine
Orthomolecular medicine uses safe, effective nutritional therapy to fight illness. For more information: http://www.orthomolecular.org
Find a Doctor: To locate an orthomolecular physician near you: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v06n09.shtml
The peer-reviewed Orthomolecular Medicine News Service is a non-profit and non-commercial informational resource.
Andrew W. Saul, Ph.D. (USA), Editor-In-Chief
Comments and media contact: email@example.com OMNS welcomes but is unable to respond to individual reader emails. Reader comments become the property of OMNS and may or may not be used for publication.
|For a free subscription to: OMNS visit: http://orthomolecular.org/subscribe.html and http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/index.shtml|
Dr. Cheng is the founder and director of Dr. Cheng Integrative Health Center and Doctor’s Anti-Aging and Weight Loss Center, of Columbia, SC, since inception in 2003. Dr. Cheng and his colleagues take an integrative approach to help patients with chronic disease esp. diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular diseases and cancer. Dr. Cheng also serves as consultant to Shenzhen BaoAn Central Hospital and Shenzhen Medical Association, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China. Dr. Cheng is also a consultant to SuHa International Hospital, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China. Dr. Cheng serves on the editorial board of Journal of Nutritional Oncology, China and Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. Dr. Cheng is a Fellow and board certified anti-aging physician by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and also a Fellow and board certified, A4m Integrative Cancer Therapy. Dr. Cheng completed his medical school at Shanghai Medical University in Shanghai, China, and completed his Ph.D. degree at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in biochemistry and molecular biology. Dr. Cheng published several research papers in peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals and was a invited speaker at several scientific conferences by Dr. Harold zur Hausen (2008 Nobel Laureate) of the German Cancer Research Center, Shanghai Medical University and China National Genome Center (Shanghai) (upon invitation of Dr. Zhu Cheng, former Health Minister of China). Website: http://DrWLC.com