Recipe: Happy Wraps
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘SLIMMING MEALS THAT HEAL‘.
These extraordinary wraps are perfect fast food when on the run. A great new product to hit the market recently is a wrap made from coconut meat. With each wrap containing just 70 calories, this gluten-free substitute is a great alternative to wheat- or corn-based tortillas. And the best part is that coconut contains medium-chain triglycerides, a type of fat that likes to be burned as energy! If you can’t find coconut wraps, then nori sheets or other gluten-free wraps make a lovely substitute. (Makes 4 wraps)
- 1 cup fermented or freshly grated beet
- 1 cup kelp noodles or brown rice noodles or sweet potato noodles
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 pinch pink rock salt or gray sea salt
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 120 grams smoked salmon*, sugar-free, or 120 grams of seasoned, cooked tempeh
- 2 Tbsp nut- and dairy-free pesto
- 4 coconut or soft flax grain-free wraps or nori paper
1) Mix beet, noodles, oil and salt and set aside. (If you are using freshly grated beets, consider splashing them with a squeeze of lemon juice to give them a tangy taste.)
2) Layer beet-noodle mixture with apple, salmon, and pesto inside wrap. Fold over once and eat like a soft taco.
3) (*Wild caught salmon from Alaska is rated as ‘best choice’ by SeaChoice.org, an organization devoted to healthy oceans and sustainable seafood.)