From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Preserve Your Harvest the Old Fashioned Way‘.
These make delicious topping for yogurt, ice-cream and breakfast cereals. You can use any berry in season, keeping in mind wild or garden berries work better than commercial produce. I use fresh picked wild blueberries and I use whey to cut down on needed measure of salt. You’ll need 2 (250 ml) jars.
- 2 tablespoons whey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unpasteurized honey
1) To make 2 (250 ml) jars, put berries in jar about 3/4 full.
2) Squish them slightly with a wooden spoon.
3) Mix together whey, sea salt and honey in a cup.
4) Pour over the berries and add enough water to cover, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
5) Put on lid and leave at room temperature 2 to 3 days.
6) Store in fridge or cold place and they’ll save for months.