Recipe: Indian-style Mixed Vegetable Platter with Spicy Seeds
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Indian Cuisine Heats Up the Kitchens of the North’.
This colourful, low-fat meal is so versatile, you never have to serve the same platter twice! For endless variety, try mixing and matching broccoli florets, sliced parsnip, cubed turnip, and sliced okra with the vegetables used in the version below. (Serves 6)
- 2 cups baby potatoes (or large peeled potatoes cut into hefty chunks)
- Small head of cauliflower
- 2 cups green and/or yellow beans
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 diced sweet pepper
- 2 minced chillies or jalapeños
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon peeled grated ginger root
- 2 Tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
1) Scrub potatoes and place in a saucepan covered with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until merely tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, set aside.
2) Cut cauliflower into small florets, put into a saucepan along with green and/or yellow beans cut into halves, carrots, and green peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until carrot is tender. Drain, set aside.
3) In a large skillet or wok, heat olive oil and sauté onion, sweet pepper, chillies or jalapeños (or to suit taste), garlic, and ginger root. Sauté 1 minute, then push mixture to back of pan.
4) To the front of pan add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, yellow mustard seeds, and turmeric. Sauté until the seeds start to pop and then stir together with the sautéed vegetables in pan.
5) Add the pre-cooked cauliflower/carrot mixture and stir-fry until heated through.
6) Season with black pepper and a squirt of lemon juice.
7) Garnish with toasted coriander and/or sesame seeds upon serving.