Beet the Scale BorschtJulie Daniluk, R.H.N. November 2, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Balance Your Hormones with Cures from the Kitchen‘.
This simple, low-calorie vegetable borscht showcases the flavour and colour of beets and red cabbage with a backdrop of fresh dill. Phytonutrients known as anthocyanins are what give beets and red cabbages their deep magenta colour. These nutrients are powerful antioxidants that repair and protect our DNA from the damaging effects of free radicals.
(Makes 8 servings)
Egg-, Soy-, Dairy-, Nut- and Wheat-Free, Low GI
- 1-1/2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups beets, julienned
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 cup green peas (frozen if fresh not available)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pink rock salt or gray sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup dill weed, chopped
1) Place oil, onion, and garlic in large stock pot and cook until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
2) Add all remaining ingredients, except for dill, and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add dill just before serving.
4) NB: If you want the soup to be authentic and are ready to test dairy in the last phase of the Slimming Meals That Heal Plan, consider topping each serving with a tablespoon of sheep or goat yogurt for a creamy contrast to the sour soup.
Julie is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and host of Healthy Gourmet, a reality cooking show aired in over 70 countries. A highly-sought-after anti-inflammatory health expert and speaker, she is the award-winning author of 3 bestselling books. After graduating from both The Canadian School of Natural Nutrition and the Institute for the Psychology of Eating, she studied culinary arts at George Brown College, herbalism at Emerson Herbal College, and life coaching with Tony Robbins. Be sure to check out her latest masterclass at <a href="www.thrivewithjulie.com">www.thrivewithjulie.com</a> and follow her on <a />Facebook</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/JulieDaniluk">Twitter</a>, <a href="https://www.instagram.com/juliedaniluk/">Instagram</a>, and <a href="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5rDkDBPpg7nCTn64vga7oQ?view_as=subscriber"Youtube</a>.