Beet the Scale BorschtJulie Daniluk, R.H.N. November 2, 2015
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘Balance Your Hormones with Cures from the Kitchen‘.
This simple, low-calorie vegetable borscht showcases the flavour and colour of beets and red cabbage with a backdrop of fresh dill. Phytonutrients known as anthocyanins are what give beets and red cabbages their deep magenta colour. These nutrients are powerful antioxidants that repair and protect our DNA from the damaging effects of free radicals.
(Makes 8 servings)
Egg-, Soy-, Dairy-, Nut- and Wheat-Free, Low GI
- 1-1/2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups beets, julienned
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 cup green peas (frozen if fresh not available)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pink rock salt or gray sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup dill weed, chopped
1) Place oil, onion, and garlic in large stock pot and cook until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
2) Add all remaining ingredients, except for dill, and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add dill just before serving.
4) NB: If you want the soup to be authentic and are ready to test dairy in the last phase of the Slimming Meals That Heal Plan, consider topping each serving with a tablespoon of sheep or goat yogurt for a creamy contrast to the sour soup.
Julie Daniluk, RHN: Nutritionist and TV personality, Julie Daniluk is the award-winning, bestselling author of <a href="https://www.nationalnutrition.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=julie+daniluk">Meals That Heal Inflammation</a> & <a href="https://www.nationalnutrition.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=julie+daniluk">Slimming Meals That Heal</a>. Her 3rd book, <a href="https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/hot-detox-a-21-day/9781443450676-item.html">Hot Detox</a>, was on the Canadian Bestseller’s list for 11 weeks in 2017 and is already in its second printing. Julie is finishing her 4th book due for release in September 2021 by Penguin/Random House Canada. Julie hosts Healthy Gourmet, a reality cooking show that looks at the ongoing battle between taste and nutrition. Over the past 10 years the show has aired in 78 countries and in 11 different languages. Julie has appeared on hundreds of television and radio shows, including The Dr. Oz Show. She is in her 10th season as a resident expert for The Marilyn Denis Show. Check out more information at <a href="https://www.juliedaniluk.com/">juliedaniluk.com</a> and connect with her on Facebook and Instagram @juliedaniluk