Vaccine ControversySusan Fletcher, B.Sc. September 1, 2012
New evidence of a causal link between childhood vaccination and allergies, asthma, Type I diabetes, and more.
North American children are the most vaccinated on earth. From the age of two months to 18 months alone, Canadian infants and toddlers can receive up to 41 doses of 13 to 16 taxpayer-funded vaccines. Yet the infant mortality rate in Canada (and the US) is about twice as high as that in Sweden and Japan. The latter two countries recommend fewer than half the infant vaccines recommended by the first two.
Is it possible that vaccines are contributing to ill health? The logical way to find out is through rigorously scientific long-term studies that compare the overall health of vaccinated populations with that of the unvaccinated. Yet public health authorities have refused to sponsor these studies based on their unscientific presumption that vaccine benefits outweigh their risks, therefore withholding vaccination from study control groups would be unethical.
The public health mantras, “vaccines are safe and effective,” and “vaccines are cost effective,” belie the facts. Prior to vaccination, it’s impossible to know that no injury will be induced immediately or some time in the future when it will be more difficult to conclude an association. Acknowledgement of vaccine-adverse events necessitates an ability to detect them plus objectivity; even in provinces requiring reports of all possible events, those omitting to do so are not held accountable; and even when reports are made, conflicts of interest may result in pruning of incidents, which should truly be recorded as vaccine adverse events. Calculations that find vaccines to be “cost effective” don’t reflect costs of taxpayer-funded remedial health care for the vaccine injured or related personal expenses of the families involved.
Pressure to Vaccinate
Reluctant parents are often coerced to accept vaccinations for their children. They’re told that serious vaccine injury is “extremely rare” but infectious diseases are “deadly,” and it’s implied they have an obligation to accept vaccines not only for their children’s safety but also in order to protect others for whom “vaccines don’t work.” They’re told that a high percentage of the population must be vaccinated in order to maintain immunity for everyone, a condition named “herd immunity.”
The term ‘herd immunity’ was coined by researcher A.W. Hedrich, after he’d studied the epidemiology of measles in the U.S. between 1900 and 1931. His study, published in the May 1933 American Journal of Epidemiology, concluded that once 68% of children younger than 15 years old had become immune to measles via infection, measles epidemics ceased.
This natural, pre-vaccine herd immunity differs greatly from the present vaccine herd immunity. Today we’re told that vaccines must be injected into 85-95% or more of infants/children and re-injected every couple of months or every few years in order to protect the whole “herd” of us. But disease-conferred immunity usually lasted a lifetime. As each new generation of children contracted the infection, the immunity of those previously infected was renewed due to their continual cyclical re-exposure to the disease; except for newly infected children and the few individuals who’d never had the disease or been exposed to it, the herd immunity of the entire population was maintained at all times.
Today when an infectious disease outbreak occurs, we’re told that everyone born after its vaccine was introduced needs to be vaccinated if they haven’t kept up to date with “immunizations”. In the pre-vaccine era, newborns could receive antibodies against infectious diseases from their mothers who had themselves been infected as children and re-exposed to the diseases later in life.
Today’s babies born to mothers who were vaccinated and never exposed to these diseases do not receive these antibodies. In direct contrast to fear mongering disease “facts” and “herd immunity” theories related by Public Health, most of today’s newborns are more vulnerable than those of the pre-vaccine era.
Vaccines Disrupt the Body’s Immune System
The basic premise of vaccination is that symptomatic illness can be avoided, and enduring immunity maintained, by injecting pathogens into the body (killed bacteria, weakened live viruses, or parts of them). But live viruses, even when weakened, can produce symptoms given the right conditions; efficacy requires that killed pathogens or their parts be accompanied by risky immune stimulants called ‘adjuvants’. Furthermore, the immune system has first responder (Th1) and second responder (Th2) phases that must be kept in balance in order for health to be maintained. Evidence shows that multiple and repeat injections of vaccines skew the immune system to favour the Th2 phase, which produces antibodies. While these may help prevent disease, when Th2 is overactive they may also give rise to allergies and autoimmune disease. World-renowned immunologist Hugh Fudenberg stated: “One vaccine decreases cell-mediated [Th1] immunity by 50%, two vaccines by 70%… all triple vaccines (MMR, DTaP) markedly impair cell-mediated immunity, which predisposes to recurrent viral infections, especially otitis media [ear ache], as well as yeast and fungi infections.”
All vaccines contain proteins, some in the lab-altered pathogens deliberately included, some in other ingredients, and some as contaminants remaining from the manufacturing process. The injection of protein unfiltered by the body’s external defences (skin and linings of the intestine and respiratory system) and unfamiliar to the internal defences, especially when accompanied by an adjuvant or involving live virus, is a recipe for immune system dysfunction. Retired neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock MD, CCN wrote that a number of studies have shown that live viruses from vaccines can enter the brain, mutate to their former potency (or stronger) via the action of free radicals, and produce chronic brain inflammation. Commonly used aluminum adjuvant can sustain inflammation for years. The aluminum in vaccines injected along with those containing mercury can dramatically increase mercury’s toxicity (which, by itself, is toxic at any concentration no matter how low). Mercury in vaccines acts as a preservative. Among other things, it suppresses the immune system, creates massive oxidative stress, and causes protective membranes to become leaky.
But even without live viruses or adjuvants, protein injection alone could lead to future development of allergies. Paediatrician Lawrence Palevsky wrote that ingestion of a food protein that’s previously been injected (eg. drinking milk after being injected with the milk protein in DPT vaccine) leads to inflammation of any body tissue to which the ingested protein is transported. And non-food proteins can cause cross-reactive hypersensitivity to food proteins of the same molecular weight. This is the mechanism which vaccine researcher Rita Hoffman suggests as the cause of the upsurge in food-linked anaphylaxis after 1987’s introduction of Hib vaccine which contains proteins potentially cross-reactive with proteins in peanuts, almonds, soybeans, and mango. On the other hand, injection of a protein already existing in human body tissue could cause autoimmunity.
More Risks from Ingredients
Some other vaccine ingredients may sound harmless but are not. For example, gelatin is not only a food but also may contain aluminum; when injected, it can cause hives or even life-threatening anaphylaxis. Monosodium glutamate, a flavour-enhancer present in many processed foods can be allergenic, especially in children who regularly consume large amounts. If injected MSG enters the brain due to a weak blood/brain barrier (as in children up to two or three years old) it can cause brain cell death. And although we were once told that smoking is harmless, cigarettes contain formaldehyde; formaldehyde is a known carcinogen and it’s used as a preservative in some vaccines.
Aluminum is ubiquitous in our environment and common in drinking water, foods, and other products. It’s been linked to cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, ALS, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, and macrophagic myofasciitis. Just as for mercury and MSG, aluminum’s harmful effects are amplified by injection. Recent studies have shown a high correlation between Autism Spectrum Disorders and the aluminum adjuvants common in childhood vaccines.
Oil-based adjuvants have recently been approved for use in vaccines despite the fact that it’s been known since the 1930s that they’re especially dangerous. Previously, they were restricted to use in animals; oil-injected animals developed autoimmunity against which possibly therapeutic drugs could be tested. An adjuvant containing the oil squalene was used in making some of the H1N1 ‘pandemic’ vaccine injected into children and pregnant women during the 2009/2010 flu season.
Research Studies Confirm Vaccine Risks
A 2006 study of European children published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (JACI) found that the MMR vaccine was associated with increased risk of hay fever, whereas measles infection was associated with a reduced risk of allergic eczema. It also found that use of fever suppressants for very young children was associated with increased risk of both allergic eczema and asthma. Please note that fever suppressants (e.g. Tylenol) are often recommended when vaccines are administered.
A 2008 study published in the same journal analyzed medical records of Manitoba children. It found that, “Among 11,531 children who received at least four doses of DPT, the risk of asthma was reduced to half in children whose first dose of DPT was delayed by more than two months… the association was greater with delays in all of the first three doses.” And a 2011 JACI study suggests that milk protein contamination from culture mediums caused anaphylaxis in highly milk-allergic children following booster doses of DTaP vaccines.
It’s difficult to prove that vaccinations cause autoimmune disease, since the latter often takes many years to develop. However, immunologist Dr. Bart Classen has built a strong case with his research. Since 1998, he’s produced numerous studies which provide evidence of a causal link between most childhood vaccines and Type I diabetes.
As the number of childhood vaccines has increased, Autism Spectrum Disorders have skyrocketed. By 2008, neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock noted dozens of peer-reviewed studies demonstrating clinical and scientific links between the two. These demonstrate the mechanism by which the damage is done and include studies of cell cultures, tissues, animals, and humans.
Discovering the Truth
Mayer Eisenstein MD, JD, MPH is medical director of the Chicago-based Homefirst Medical Clinic. Since 1973, this clinic has cared for 35,000 children, most of whom have received no vaccines, the others only a few. Eisenstein can recall no cases of autism amongst these patients and virtually none of them have had asthma, allergies, respiratory illnesses, or diabetes. Autism is also absent amongst the unvaccinated Amish communities of Pennsylvania and Ohio. And, according to two studies done in New Zealand in 1992 and 1995, unvaccinated children had fewer allergies and runny noses, and less otitis, tonsillitis, epilepsy, and ADHD.
Specialist in internal medicine and nephrology Suzanne Humphries MD, wrote, “Up until two years ago I was content to work as a medical doctor caring for very sick people with kidney failure [but] with several undeniable cases of kidney-associated vaccine injury in previously healthy people, I started to look deeper into information that I had previously held as factual and not worthy of debate.” She asks that health care practitioners “understand that the peer review process has censored intelligent doubt on vaccine safety and driven it into the alternative press,” and pleads with practitioners and parents to “do your homework. The minds and bodies of future generations depend upon it.”
Maria Radatus, RMT, agrees. In her 2004 letter to the Vaccination Risk Awareness Network (VRAN), she explains: “By the time I had Jade I was overwhelmed with new motherhood… I followed ‘The Rules’… of course, the doctor assured me she had never had problems with vaccinating thousands of children… I didn’t know enough about the subject to refute the standard of practice. Although my daughter seemed fine, my intuition felt wrongly about it. I knew I had to research more, so I did. At this point Jade had two shots in total, then I ended the vaccination process… I feel fortunate that she is only suffering from allergies… She got off easier than many.”
There are many factors which can cause illness; vaccination is one over which parents have control. Of paramount importance is that you do your own research, preferably prior to the birth of your first child, even before conception. Next in importance is learning about breastfeeding; it’s what protects best during the transition from maternal protection in the womb to protection by competent immunity in the young child. Moreover, it establishes a strong, integrated immune foundation for life.
As well as risks of vaccines, you should also be aware of risks from drugs commonly used to treat infections. For instance, Tylenol suppresses the immune enhancing effects of fevers and reduces the body’s supply of the powerful antioxidant, glutathione. Your choice of a doctor is critical: some will have a paternalistic attitude, others will listen to and respect your concerns and wishes. Home birth is less likely to be associated with pressure to vaccinate. Consultation with naturopaths or other health practitioners well versed in healthful lifestyle choices can help. And the experiences of friends who are seasoned parents may forewarn of pitfalls to avoid.
Canadian parents cannot be forced to have their children vaccinated. Even when vaccine laws exist for entry into public schools (as in Ontario, Manitoba, and New Brunswick), exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, and philosophical reasons. VRAN’s website, http://vran.org, headlined “Your Child. Your Choice. Your Future”, is Canada’s only national independent online source of vaccine information; its excellent science-based articles have helped many parents in their struggle to make wise vaccine decisions. (VRAN is a volunteer-managed organization. For more info, email: email@example.com, or call 1-250-355-2525)
• Multiple Vaccination Effects on Atopy [allergy]; http://vran.org/health-risks/anaphylaxis-allergies-and-asthma/multiple-vaccination-effects-on-atopy/
• Infant mortality rates regressed against number of vaccine doses given; Human and Experimental Toxicology; 2011; http://thinktwice.com/HET_study.pdf
• ‘Herd Immunity’: the misplaced driver of universal vaccination; http://vran.org/about-vaccines/general-issues/herd-immunity/herd-immunity-the-misplaced-driver-of-universal-vaccination/
• Vaccines and Genetic Mutation (immune imbalance and Dr Hugh Fudenberg quote); http://vran.org/about-vaccines/vaccine-ingredients/vaccines-and-genetic-mutation/
• Long-term persistence of vaccine-derived aluminum hydroxide is associated with chronic cognitive dysfunction; Journal of Inorganic Chemistry; 2009; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19748679?dopt=Abstract
• How Vaccines Can Damage Your Brain by Russell Blaylock MD, CCN; http://whale.to/b/blaylock.html
• Vaccine Epidemic, edited by L.K. Habakus, MA and M. Holland, JD; chapter 19; ‘Mercury toxicity and Vaccine Injury’ by Boyd Haley PhD
• Kids May React to Milk Proteins in DPT Shot by paediatrician Lawrence Palevsky, MD; http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/kids-may-react-to-milk-proteins-in-dpt-shot/
• Provincial and Territorial web sites and immunization schedules; Public Health Agency of Canada; http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/is-pi-eng.php
• Anaphylactic Children – Canaries in the Public Health Mine Shaft? http://vran.org/health-risks/anaphylaxis-allergies-and-asthma/anaphylactic-children%E2%80%94canaries-in-the-public-health-mine-shaft/
• The Peanut Allergy Epidemic by Heather Fraser
• Chemical Ingredients; http://vran.org/about-vaccines/vaccine-ingredients/chemical-ingredients/
• Aluminum, Autism and Alzheimer’s; http://vran.org/in-the-news/aluminum-autism-and-alzheimer%e2%80%99s/
• A Glimpse Into the Scary World of Vaccine Adjuvants; http://vran.org/about-vaccines/vaccine-ingredients/a-glimpse-into-vaccine-adjuvants/
• Allergic disease and sensitization in Steiner school children; Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology; 2006
• Delay in diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus vaccination is associated with a reduced risk of childhood asthma. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology; 2008
• Anaphylaxis to diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis vaccines among children with cow’s milk allergy; Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology; 2011
• Vaccine Safety website of Dr Bart Classen; http://vaccines.net/newpage11.htm
• The danger of excessive vaccination during brain development by Russell Blaylock MD; http://vran.org/wp-content/documents/VRAN-The-danger-of-excessive-vaccination-during-brain-development.doc
• The Marvellous Health of Unvaccinated Children by paediatrician Francoise Berthoud; http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2010/06/25/the-marvellous-health-of-unvaccinated-children/
• Vaccine Epidemic, pg 217.
• A Few Things I Know by Suzanne Humphries MD; http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2011/02/06/a-few-things-i-know/#comment-752
• Letter by Maria Radatus RMT; VRA Newsletter; summer/fall 2004; pg 26.
• Tylenol (Acetaminophen) depletes Glutathione (necessary for removal of mercury); http://www.whale.to/vaccine/tylenol_depletes_glutathione.html
• Exemptions from vaccinations; http://vran.org/exemptions/
• Vaccine Epidemic edited by L.K. Habakus, MA and M. Holland JD
• Vaccine Safety Manual by Neil Z Miller
• Immunization: History, Ethics, Law and Health by Catherine Diodati (available from VRAN)
• Breastfeeding Media Reviews; http://mothering.com/breastfeeding-media-reviews
• When vaccine theology clashes with nature’s blueprint; VRA Newsletter; Autumn 2011
• Preventing Autism ; http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/04/best-of-aofa-preventing-autism-an-emerging-hypothesis.html#more