The Damaging Effects of ElectropollutionHelke Ferrie April 1, 2011
Regulators Ignore Health Impact as EMF Radiation Invades Canada
“This device emits electromagnetic radiation, exposure to which may cause brain cancer. Users, especially pregnant women and children, should keep it away from the head and body.” ~ Currently proposed legislation for cell phones: Bill LD 1014, sponsored by Legislator Andrea Boland in Maine, U.S.
Ignorance may or may not be bliss, but one thing is certain – it is very profitable. According to Buddhism, all suffering derives from ignorance. Ignorance keys into the addictive potential in all of us and thereby allows somebody to make a huge pile of money on enslavement.
The detrimental health effects of cell phones, WiFi, electromagnetic fields (EMFs), and the microwave-producing technology we use daily makes worrying about our kids’ experiments with drugs, sex, and alcohol seem insignificant in comparison to the WiFi-equipped schools that they are sent to, the cell phones that are bought for them, the hours they spend in front of the TV (forget the content – the TV itself is worse), and the microwave oven that they often use to heat their meals. Sex, booze, drugs, and crime are part of the dark side of life’s education: one often learns from these mess-ups to go on to make healthy choices. But this “progressive” and seductive EMF radiation technology has the power to obliterate life, phase out our biological future, and kill the brain.
I am one of the victims who was seriously injured by cell phone radiation. Our solar-powered cottage is far from phone lines, so we used public phones for 25 years. Last summer, a cell phone tower was erected one mile from my study window. Being a social animal, I thought this was fabulous! But over a period of two months, I developed indescribable headaches, piercing pains in my right eye, and spontaneous bleeding from my right ear. My ophthalmologist diagnosed two cataracts in my right eye – the hallmark of microwave radiation injury (we know this from research that began on WWII U.S. Navy personnel injured by radar equipment). On the other hand, age-related cataracts appear in both eyes. In a future Vitality issue, I will discuss the treatment protocols I am using on my road to recovery.
I am in stellar company. World Health Organization (WHO) Director General Gro Harlem Brundtland (1998–2003), convener of the World Commission on Environment and Development in 1987, did not permit any cell phones at WHO’s Geneva headquarters because they caused her debilitating headaches. Of course, she had the wrath of the industry descend upon her as a result. She is currently suffering from cancer.
In 2004, the WHO defined electrohypersensitivity (EHS) as: “a phenomenon where individuals experience adverse health effects while using or being in the vicinity of devices emanating electric, magnetic, or electromagnetic fields… a sometimes debilitating problem [occurring] several orders of magnitude under the limits of internationally accepted standards.”
RADIATION INCREASES RISK OF CANCER AND ALZHEIMER’S
In fact, everybody is at risk. Epidemiologist Dr. Sam Milham first studied childhood leukemia clusters in the 1970s, and eventually proved beyond doubt that the risk for this disease is directly related to the close proximity of powerlines, and subsequently cell phone towers. (Those areas of the world with little or no electricity have almost no incidence of leukemia.) In addition to leukemia, evidence now supports the connection between cell phones and brain tumours, cancer of the eye, salivary glands, and testicles, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and Alzheimer’s disease. This radiation also contributes to the development of autism and ADHD. While all of these conditions have several known causes, research has confirmed that the use of cell and cordless phones and laptop computers speeds up the disease process to such an extent that people in their 30s are now being diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer’s. The degranulation process of live brain cells, when exposed to cell phone radiation, has been experimentally demonstrated. Cancer incidence is also significantly higher within 400 metres of a cell phone tower or transmitter site. And Trent University researcher, Magda Havas, may now have discovered a third type of diabetes caused exclusively by electromagnetic radiation.
The most vulnerable are children and pregnant women, and the most vulnerable organs are the brain, testicles, and ovaries. This was confirmed in 2007 by the World Health Organization, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and a 2010 Swedish government study, which all showed that cell phone use increases the chances of brain cancer by 40%. Last year, the European Journal of Oncology reported that serious heart and heart-related problems (e.g. arrhythmia, palpitations, heart flutter, racing heart beat, fainting, profuse sweating, etc.) can occur in response to pulsed radiation as low as 0.5 percent of the existing Canadian and U.S. federal guidelines, which permit 10 mill micro/Wm2. The truly science-based exposure guidelines demonstrate that nobody should be exposed to more than 1 microW/m2.
When analyzing any type of death-causing technology, the most reliable information usually comes from the military. At www.safeschool.ca you can download a recently declassified U.S. Navy document from 1971 which summarizes the more than 2,300 studies on the health effects of microwave radiation known way back then! Of course they knew – microwave technology was already part of the military arsenal intended to inflict bodily harm. It is the Military University in Germany that developed EMF protection standards for civilian building codes. Building materials also require protection from rapid corrosion caused by radio frequencies and microwaves. In 2008, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities asked the federal government for an emergency fund of $123 billion over five years to prevent the collapse of exposed buildings.
ECONOMIC IMPACT OF EMF RADIATION
The economic victims of irresponsible application of radiation-based technology include agriculture. Plants avoid high EMF levels by not growing as high as they normally would; when the EMF source is removed, they grow normally. Cows are also affected. As reported by Dr. Milham, when the “dirty electricity” in a U.S. school was neutralized by Graham/Stetzer filters, “a dairy farmer a quarter of a mile away noticed that his cows each gave an average of ten pounds more milk per day, beginning the day the school installed its filters. The cows were responding to dirty electricity being removed from the ground currents.” In 2008, the French court ordered a power company to compensate cattle farmers for EMF damage.
Living creatures are electrical beings able to function only within specific frequencies. Devra Davis observes: “The difference between being alive and being dead is just one thing – the presence of electrical activity in the brain.” Thoracic surgeon, Dr. William Rae, co-founder of the American Academy for Environmental Medicine with Linus Pauling and Dr. Theron Randolph, originally became interested in environmental influences on health when operating room equipment caused him to become seriously EMF-sensitive in the 1970s. His research led him to recognize the deleterious influence of pesticides and many other environmental toxins, all of which cause multi-system damage. The immune system is the primary target, which does its job through electrically-charged biological substances such as neurotransmitters, hormones, and peptides, which transmit faster than the speed of light. It has been known since the 1990s that environmental illness from biological toxins and electrohypersensitivity share the process of a disastrous reduction in cholinesterase, a nervous system enzyme. Its sudden depletion can cause depression and suicidal behaviour.
CHILD SAFETY AT GREATEST RISK
All biological processes have their inherent timing, repair, and defensive responses, especially during pregnancy and brain development. Hence, the industry’s “safety” standards, with which government regulators collaborate, are totally absurd.
Devra Davis explains: “They are based on the imaginary SAM, the Standard Anthropomorphic Man based on military recruits of 1989: six foot two tall, about 200 lbs, and never exposed to a cell phone. The subsequently constructed safety standards date to 1962 when nobody knew the difference between heat-producing radiation and microwave radiation, and cell phones did not exist.”
The Safe School Committee in Collingwood (www.safeschool.ca) is fighting the WiFi craze that has hit Canadian schools. Even though WiFi is slower than landline-transmitted connections, and even though there is a documented 40% increase in cardiac arrest in children under 13 years directly related to this type of radiation, the Toronto School Board is hell-bent on providing WiFi in all schools – presumably until no brains are left to zap. So eager are our guardians of education to implement what they call “Vision of Hope,” they even ignore the inadequate safety standards set by Health Canada.
Ken Dryden expressed outrage on March 12 (Globe & Mail) about the lack of mandatory protection from head injuries in hockey, stating “How could we be so stupid!” Such outrage should apply equally to WiFi in schools because even more children – all of them, in fact – will be affected. In a 2009 review of the usually irreversible harm EMFs cause, neuroscientist O. Johansson, of the Karalinska Institute in Sweden, wrote: “Today no-one would consider having a radioactive wrist watch with glowing digits (as you could in the 1950s), having your children’s shoes fitted in a strong X-ray machine (as you could in the 1940s), keeping radium in open trays on your desk (as scientists could in the 1930s), or X-raying each other at your garden party (as physicians did in the 1920s). In retrospect that was just plain madness. However, the persons doing so were not…less intelligent.…Knowledge was deficient, as was a competent risk analysis coupled to a parallel analysis of public needs.”
A thoroughly depressing fact is that the main reason gorillas in Africa reduced in numbers by 90% since 1995 is because their habitat was destroyed by miners for a rare mineral called coltan. This mineral is apparently indispensable to the production of cell phones. The international efforts to save the gorillas is appearing to meet with success, but nothing has happened so far to rescue the miners themselves – they are almost exclusively slave labourers, specifically children as young as 6 years.
DEVELOPMENTS AROUND THE WORLD
What is happening in other jurisdictions?
o In 2007, Germany initiated a policy to reduce the use of CAT scans because of their demonstrated cancer-causing properties, and because their use increased health care costs (directly and through additional cancer incidence) by 80% in 40 years. And last year, Germany banned energy efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs because their carcinogenic radiation exceeds European allowable exposure limits. (I tossed out all of our CFLs and replaced them with old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, after which I found that the crushing fatigue I had been experiencing mysteriously disappeared!)
o Many jurisdictions in the U.S. are now framing legislation to deal both with CFL bulbs’ unacceptable levels of radiation and the difficulty of their disposal due to the high mercury content threatening the ground water.
o The European Union’s September 2009 report on EMFs stressed the “serious and irreversible damage to health and environments” from EMF radiation and called on all member states to take precautionary action. Shortly after, the possibility of outlawing the use of cell phones for children under 18 was discussed in the E.U. Parliament.
o On March 11, the U.K.’s national Department of Health advised its citizens that they should text, rather than put their cell phones to their ears.
o Switzerland, Finland, Luxembourg, and Austria now outfit their schools with totally radiation-safe fiber-optic technology for their internet and communication needs. Israel has similar legislation in the works. Those countries also set the maximum allowable level of exposure between 5 to 10 microW/m2. Recall that in Canada we are told 10 mill micro/Wm2 is “safe.” Guess on which part of the Earth human brains will survive!
Meanwhile, we are also being threatened with “smart metres,” which tend to increase electricity costs for people and expose them to massive amounts of radiation. As of February of this year, California allows people to refuse their installation, because a formal investigation showed that these U.S.-made devices never passed all of the mandatory regulatory hurdles, are hazardous to health, and can cause fire.
Devra Davis in her book, Disconnect, explains that the most serious practical challenge to the cell phone industry comes from the world’s large insurance companies, such as the Sterling Group of Lloyd’s of London. Having been nearly wiped out when asbestos-related claims were settled in the early 1990s, insurance companies informed the cell phone industry that they will not be backed when radiation-injury claims start pouring in, as they surely will. The trigger for this decision was the U.K.’s 2005 Stewart Commission, whose chair, citing worldwide research demonstrating harm to children’s brains from cell phones, told the mobile phone industry to “refrain from promoting the use of mobile phones by children.” In Canada, liability is certainly worth testing in court, because the 2007 Human Rights Commission report on Environmental Illness specifically included harm from EMF radiation as being real and requiring accommodation.
Helke Ferrie is currently having her house decontaminated by Robert Stellar of Breathing Easy. Watch for a blog post from her in April that summarizes the strategies used to make her house safe from electropollution, to be published on our website: www.vitalitymagazine.com
S. Milham MD, Dirty Electricity, iUniverse, 2010, any bookstore or www.sammilham.com
D. L. Davis, Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, Dutton, 2010
M. Havas & C. Rees, Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution, 2009
L. Blake, Electromagnetic Fields: A Consumer’s Guide to the Issues and How to Protect Ourselves, iUniverse (updated 2007 ed)
To fight cell phone towers being placed near schools, playgrounds, hospitals, etc., research www.whyfry.org and Google “cell phone towers + opposition”
NOTE: The product sources listed below have been tried by me, and found to be helpful.
• Planetary Association for Clean Energy Inc. Ottawa. Andrew Michrowski provides advice and scientific sources for all EMF issues including microwave ovens. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Environmental Working Group at www.ewg.org tests cell phones, etc. for hazards, safety, alternatives where regulatory information is lacking, outdated, or wrong. Check out their recommendations on safer cell phones.
• Dr. Stephen Sinatra, a cardiologist of Co-Q10 fame, has excellent information on radiation at www.heartmdinstitute.com
To take action against the WiFi plans for all of Toronto’s schools go to www.safeschool.ca, and meet its organizers at the Total Health Show.
To have your home/apartment assessed and made safe, or to build an EMF-safe house, contact www.breathing-easy.net
This list is in order of the information’s appearance in the article itself:
1. The legislation proposed in Maryland could be used in its identical wording in Canada and proposed to Health Canada via our MPs. See www.mainlegislature.org go to “Summary of LD 1014.”
2. On cell phone towers the most comprehensive information is in Dr. Sam Milham’s book, Dirty Electricity. For success in having proposed cell towers moved to locations away from children, hospitals etc. see Waterloo Chronicle February 15, 2011 article entitled “Transmission interrupted?” and March 9, 2011 “WIND Mobile looking at other tower sites.”
3. The EarthCalm website has a good summary article on the research involving EMF harm and possible protection entitled “EarthCalm develops unprecedented EMF protection against phone and WiFi radiation.”
4. Google the name Arthur Firstenberg and read his article in The Ecologist volume 34, number 5, June 1, 2004, on the harm cell phone towers do to people and animals.
5. On the dangers to food quality done by using microwave ovens, Google “microwave ovens + safety.”
5. The Wikipedia entry on former WHO Director Gro Harlem Brundtland is pretty informative and useful for the links it provides to her statements and interviews involving harm, from cell phones.
6. Contact Andrew Michrowski of Planetary Association for Clean Energy at email@example.com for his powerpoint presentations and scientific papers. Most useful is his summary of all the literature, world-wide, up to the end of 2010, entitled “Electro-Magnetic Fields: High Level Microtechnology Concerns.” It is the source of many items in this article including the degranulation of brain cells, the damage to blood cells, the corrosive effect of microwaves on building materials, etc.
7. On February 23, 2011, the Journal of the American Medical Association published an article “Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation Exposure and Brain Glucose Metabolism” which is exceedingly tame, until you get into the details which support the worst findings published internationally.
8. The information on microwaves and EMFs affecting the heart is in the European Journal for Oncology, Library Volume 5, October 2010. The lead author of Trent University’s Magda Havas. For medical professionals this article is a must and for people with existing heart issues it is perhaps a life saver.
9. On building codes and EMF protection in architectural design, the Military University in Germany etc., go to Robert Steller’s website www.breathing-easy.net
10. How EMFs adversely affect animals and plants is discussed and sources ion both the work of Andrew Michrowski (PACE) and in the book by Dr. Sam Milham. There are also a website specific to EMFs involving the issue of damage to trees, other plants and animals: www.popsci.com or con tact firstname.lastname@example.org
11. The unbelievable nonsense on which the Toronto School Board bases its decision to WiFi all schools, go to www.safeschool.ca from where you can download all of this material.
12. The declassified summary of all adverse health effects of microwave radiation known by 1971 also go to www.safeschool.ca
13. The biological pathways shared by MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity) and EMF sensitivity are discussed in detail in the material available by googling Dr. William Rae, the American Academy for Environmental Medicine, and specifically from https://tis-hq.eh.doe.gov/chem-safety which is the web access to the U.S. Department of Energy. The article there is by Lucinda Grant published in 1997 entitled “Microwaves imitate pesticides.”
14. EMFs and their harmful effects on the immune system of humans and animals is comprehensively presented in a long articled by O. Johansson of the Karalinska Institute in Sweden published in Pathophysiology in 2009. It can be downloaded from the website of EarthCalm.
15. The various sources for which countries have outlawed or initiated regulatory protection can be found on www.safeschool.ca, by googling Magda Havas, the organization Care, and accessing the January 2011 journal called Environmental Science and Technology, and www.communities.cana.com
16. On Germany curtailing the use of CAT scans see Globe & Mail, April 3, 1009.
17. The European Union’s report from the European Environmental Agency of September 15, 2009 can be downloaded by Googling them.
18. The advisory given by the UK Department of Health to text instead of put the cell phone to your head was published widely; my source was The Telegraph, March 11, 2011. Go to www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/martin-beckford
19. The report showing that “smart meters” are not safe and were not put through the mandated regulatory hoops was published on February 18, 2011 by Sage Associates of Santa Barbara, CA, U.S.A/. and is entitled: “Addendum: Assessment of Radiofrequency Microwave Radiation Emissions from Silver Spring OWS-NIC514 Model Wireless Electric Meter.” Go to www.stopsmartmeters.wordpress.com and/or email@example.com to get a copy of the report and associated materials.
20. The May 2007 Canadian Human Rights Commission report (2 parts – one on the medical condition, the other on Canada’s legal obligations) on MCS/EMF sensitivity and relevant case law etc. can be downloaded by Goggling its author, Margaret E. Sears, or by going to the Human Rights Commission website and searching for “Environmental sensitivities Report 2007.”
21. To find a research study on how the EarthCalm protective technology for your home works, go to EarthCalm’s website and download it. Title: “Quality of Life Research Testing of EarthCalm Protective System.
Helke Ferrie is a medical science writer with a master's degree in physical anthropology. Her specialty lies in investigative research into ethical issues in medicine and the politics of health. She started her investigative journalism career in the mid-1990s, looking at issues of medicine and environment. She has been a regular contributor to Vitality Magazine ever since. Helke has also authored several books on various subjects including: "Ending Denial: The Lyme Disease Epidemic", "What Part of No! Don't They Understand: Rescuing Food and Medicine from Government Abuse", and "The Earth's Gift to Medicine". Here are links to some of her works: http://old.vitalitymagazine.com/book-reviews/review/the-earths-gift-to-medicine/ https://www.amazon.ca/Ending-Denial-Updated-2013-Epidemic/dp/0988243733 https://thebovine.wordpress.com/tag/helkie-ferrie/ https://www.riverwashbooks.com/product/17162/What-Part-of-No-Dont-They-Understand-Rescuing-Food-and-Medicine-from-Government-Abuse---a-Manifesto-Ferrie-Helkie Helke has also been a regular contributor for the Vitality Magazine. Links to few of her articles: https://vitalitymagazine.com/article/the-tyranny-of-government-protection/ https://vitalitymagazine.com/article/success-story-how-i-recovered-from-lyme-disease-and-hypothyroidism/ https://vitalitymagazine.com/article/getting-the-lead-out/ Helke Ferrie now lives a retired life and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org