Deconstructing Junk Medicine
How Science is Uncovering the Real Truth Behind Genuine Health
~ OPINION PIECE ~
“It is scary how many similarities there are between the drug industry and the mob. [Both] make obscene amounts of money. The side effects of organized crime are killings and death … the same in this industry. The mob bribes politicians and others, and so does the drug industry – [but] many more are killed by this industry than by the mob.” (Dr. Peter Rost, ex-President of Marketing for Pfizer)
In order to deconstruct the junk science to be found in modern medicine, the following story provides a starting point. On June 8th last year, The New York Times ran an opinion piece by Dr. Paul A. Offit, holder of a Merck-endowed chair for vaccinology and chief of the infectious diseases division of Philadelphia’s Children’s Hospital. It was entitled “Don’t Take Your Vitamins.” Nothing in that article is technically true, and all the cited data are misrepresented, except for the fact that the natural supplement industry has grown from annual sales of $5 billion a decade ago to almost $30 billion today.
Dr. Offit, a proponent of mandatory vaccination who is famous for his public assertion that “infants can tolerate 10,000 vaccines simultaneously,” developed the Rotavirus vaccine for infant diarrhea – an unnecessary vaccine if ever there was one (there are many causes of diarrhea and this vaccine hits only a few of many rotaviruses). Offit and Merck hold the patents. His personal profit from the vaccine’s two versions was estimated at $50 million. The FDA approved the first version on March 1, 1999. Dr. Offit sat on its approval committee and voted for world-wide distribution. The known side effects observed in clinical trials were hidden.
Seven months later, after hundreds of babies died from intussusception (inversion and obstruction of the intestines), the vaccine was withdrawn. A Congressional investigation followed showing that the FDA, the Centers for Disease Control, Merck, and Dr. Offit had hidden these baby deaths. Yet, this vaccine’s new version has been recommended since 2006 by the U.S. FDA and Health Canada even though it, too, may cause intestinal gangrene and necrosis, severe vomiting, seizures, eczema, upper respiratory tract infections, and diarrhea – which it’s supposed to prevent. The vaccine’s preservatives include polysorbate 80, a known human reproductive toxin.
In 2012, following a Merck-sponsored lecture at the University of Philadelphia by Dr. Offit touting the new Rotavirus vaccine, a graduate student from the George Washington University School of Public Health confronted Dr. Offit with the published facts summarized above. Dr. Offit responded: “Get the f*ck out of here! Piece of sh*t!” When the student objected to this outburst, Dr. Offit qualified it by yelling “You’re a paranoid schizophrenic.”
The New York Times’ lapse of judgment in asking Dr. Offit to opine on vitamins is mysterious. Nobody checked the facts – but I shall do that here. Two important points need to be made: first about that explosive rage, and second about the nature of medical research.
At the core of Dr. Offit’s outburst is undoubtedly fear. Probably not fear of jail or loss of his job, as evidenced by the fact that The New York Times still seeks his opinion even on matters he knows nothing about. The fear is more likely of a public revelation of medicine’s “heart of darkness.” Dr. Offit is just one of many industry-supported medical researchers who react like cornered animals when faced with the consequences of their fraudulent research and junk science – namely, thousands of maimed and dead children.
Most of modern medicine is in the same boat with Dr. Offit. This desperate, raging, denial is also often shared by scared patients who usually demand vaccines, drugs, and screening tests. Pfizer’s former President of Marketing, Dr. Peter Rost, currently one of the most effective industry whistleblowers in the world, says that patient demand for drugs drives this entire fraudulent process just as much as a desire for fame and fortune by researchers and Big Pharma’s quest for market dominance.
Medical Investigators Uncover the Truth Behind Junk Science
On December 11, 2013, I attended Grand Rounds at Women’s College Hospital to hear a talk by Dr. Peter Gotzsche. He is co-founder of the Cochrane Collaboration, a medical organization of some 20,000 volunteer scientists who re-examine published research for hidden lies and fraudulent statistical manipulations, often using legal avenues to get at the hidden raw data. Said Dr. Gotzsche: “It is daunting how many healthy people are put on drugs that lower blood pressure or cholesterol, and it changes them from healthy citizens to patients who start worrying about their good health. This can have profound psychological consequences, apart from the side effects of the drugs (e.g. if they get more tired or depressed after starting hypertensive therapy, or experience problems in their sex life).”
His research into the hidden data proved that mammography has no true benefit, does not detect cancer earlier than self-examination, does not save lives, and causes mostly harm through false positives and radiation exposure. His work will likely lay waste to an entire industry.
Gotzche’s colleague, Irving Kirsch, conducted a 15-year analysis of the hidden, unpublished data from the clinical trials for SSRI antidepressants. This has knocked psychiatry for a loop because it turns out that SSRI’s are in fact very harmful. Dr. Allen Frances, an important Cochrane source and chair of the previous DSM-IV, published Saving Normal last year deconstructing the new DSM-5 and declaring most psychiatric diagnoses as insupportable and psychotropic drugs as most harmful.
Goetzsche declared: “My studies in [psychiatry] lead me to a very uncomfortable conclusion: our citizens would be far better off if we remove all the psychotropic drugs from the market, as doctors are unable to handle them. It is inescapable that their availability creates more harm than good.” While discussing the estimated 200,000 people killed by just Zyprexa alone, he observed that patients erroneously believe that doctors know what they are doing. But in fact they don’t because “virtually all scientific information doctors rely on is manipulated or fraudulent.” (In 2005, the co-author of the prestigious Evidence Medicine manual, that all medical students are educated with, announced that most published medical research is simply false.)
For Goetzsche, “doctors are like pilots flying a plane without a pilot’s license.” The resulting crashes have made prescription drugs the third leading cause of death, as proven by court-ordered legal fines amounting to billions. The core problem, Gotzsche states, is that the raw data of industry-funded clinical trials are secret, even from doctors under whose names they are published and from government regulators. Patients have no idea what they are swallowing. This protection of data from independent scrutiny for “proprietary” reasons is deconstructed in Gotzsche’s new book Deadly Medicines and Organized Crime.
Junk Science Often Used in Attempt to Discredit Natural Health Products
The most serious competition to standard drug-based medicine comes from natural products, especially vitamins and minerals because they cannot be patented and cause no harm. In fact, they help prevent and can effectively treat disease, especially chronic illnesses. Best of all, because they work with nature, natural health products protect people from needing to get “real” medicines. Their infinite superiority to drugs is well publicized even in mainstream journals.
Increasingly, the supplement industry is under attack. Dr. Offitt’s admonition not to take vitamins is predicated upon the well-known 1994 and 1996 Finnish studies involving 29,000 men who were at high risk for lung cancer due to smoking or exposure to asbestos. The smokers and asbestos-exposed men were all lumped together, even though these two types of lung cancers are very different. Half were given synthetic beta carotene and synthetic vitamin E, the other half got a placebo. The 1994 study showed an 18% increase in developing lung cancer in the vitamin group as one would expect, given that synthetic beta carotene is toxic in the absence of vitamin D. The 1996 study showed an even higher increase and the study was broken off early.
Anti-vitamin reports funded by Big Pharma continue to point to these 20-year-old Finnish studies, ignoring all contradictory research. Starting with these Finnish studies, all anti-vitamin studies share certain predictable features:
– they throw together patient populations and diseases that should not be grouped together;
– synthetic vitamins are used which are not recognized by cell receptors or can be toxic;
– vitamins are given in isolation like a drug, or are adulterated with existing drugs which ensures they cannot work as intended by nature;
– the dosage of the synthetic vitamins is not equivalent to the known therapeutic dose given of real vitamins in proper studies not funded by Big Pharma. Worst of all, the blood levels showing the vitamin status in trial participants is not measured before, during or after the termination of the trial.
Whatever negative effects are registered are then automatically blamed on the vitamins without any supporting evidence. The number crunching is then not relevant but does often tell us what we have known all along: that synthetic vitamins are toxic and can kill and that depriving people of individualized correct amounts of natural vitamins will kill people by omission. The UK Alliance for Natural Health told EU drug regulators that some of those Finnish trial participants likely died because that synthetic beta carotene was not accompanied by Vitamin D, without which it cannot benefit anybody. Dr. Balz Frei, director of the Linus Pauling Institute in Oregon, published an exhaustive analysis of all these dirty tricks in 2013.
– In 2005, we were told that “Vitamin E supplementation may increase all-cause mortality.” Nineteen trials involving many vitamins, E being just one of them, studied 135,967 participants “with chronic diseases” who were all dropped into one pot. No vitamin levels were established before and after the study, and when people died from whatever chronic disease, it was simply assumed to be due to vitamin E specifically. Why? Nobody knows. Despite the dramatic title, the conclusion states: “The generalizability of the findings to healthy adults is uncertain.” The “high” dose vitamin E amounted to 400 IU, less than maintenance levels in healthy people
– In 2013, niacin (vitamin B3 which Dr. Hoffer pioneered to cure B3-dependent schizophrenia) was supposedly “proven” to be useless and harmful. In the study, the niacin had a chemical laropiprant added making it essentially a statin drug, known as Tredaptive. In addition to this concoction the statin drug Simvastin was added. Not surprisingly, the most deaths and sickness occurred among the trial participants who were given the niacin/drug cocktail! In fact they got the double whammy statin treatment while the control group given a single statin naturally had fewer deaths. (If all else fails, make the vitamin toxic.) Given the recorded death toll associated with statins, and that Laropiprant failed to get FDA approval, it boggles the mind that niacin is blamed for the observation that nobody benefitted. Not mentioned was that some 40,000 studies on the benefits of niacin exist in the mainstream literature. It has been used successfully for more than 50 years to regulate high blood pressure and cholesterol imbalances and is recommended accordingly by the Mayo Clinic.
– Last year also saw an old vitamin C myth revived: supplemental C supposedly increases the risk of kidney stones, even though medical textbooks no longer reference this nonsense. However, since supplemental C reduces high blood pressure within days, it is a serious competitor to those blood pressure medications that can kill you.
– In January 2014, a broad attack on simply all vitamin and mineral supplements appeared in the Annals of Internal Medicine: three studies allegedly showed that high-dose multi-vitamin treatment failed to prevent strokes and heart attacks and was actually harmful. The accompanying editorial, entitled “Enough is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements,” asserted “further large prevention trials can no longer be justified.”
The stated assumption is that nobody needs supplements because people get all they need in their diets. By now nobody believes that anymore about the Standard American Diet, appropriately acronymed SAD. These 2014 studies cite as supporting proof a population government analysis covering 1988-1994. Obviously not relevant to today, it also is irrelevant to those current patients about whose dietary habits we know nothing. That 20-year old report provides no support at all since it showed chronic vitamin E deficiency among Americans. None of the trial participants had their individual vitamin status assessed and recorded; all received the same synthetic supplement combo. With no baseline measurements and those silly assumptions, we wind up with something that measured nothing and imagined much.
At the heart of this battle for medicine based on true, testable facts is the fact that synthetic drugs are indeed bullets that intervene, block, inhibit, and poison healing pathways trying to signal for help through symptoms. When used therapeutically, natural substances which are inherently necessary to health enter into an individual dialogue with the patients body and support healing, not inhibit it. A lot of people have realized that being ill is not a drug deficiency, that medicine has largely sold out to Big Pharma which thrives on infantile fears and misinformed doctors. The rebellion is evident everywhere. We all need to join it.
“If drugs make a well person sick, how can they make a sick person well?” (Dr. Abram Hoffer, MD)
Catch Helke Ferrie at the Total Health Show, where she will give a talk on Sunday, April 6, from 4 – 6 pm, entitled “Is There Progress in Medicine?” See https://www.totalhealthshow.com
Dr. Zoltan Rona’s February 2014 feature in Vitality also discusses the three articles published in December 2013 in Annals of Internal Medicine listed below and provides additional insight for patients. Available online at www.vitalitymagazine.com
Those three junk science articles are in the December 17, 2013 issue of Annals of Internal Medicine:
E. Guallar et al. Editorial: Enough is Enough: Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
S. P. Fortman et al. Vitamin and Mineral Supplements in the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer: An Updated Systematic Evidence Review of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
A. Gervasio et al. Oral High-Dose Multivitamins and Minerals After Myocardial Infarction – A Randomized Trial
The opinion piece by Dr. Paul A. Offit entitled “Don’t Take Your Vitamins” was published in The New York Times on June 8, 2013
www.childhealthsafety.wordpress.com is the source for the U.S. Congressional investigation of the from the Rotavirus vaccine and the role Dr. Offit played in hiding those facts. The date is April 23, 2011
On www.mercola.com more details can be found on the Rotavirus scandal, Dr. Paul A. Offit and other vaccine-related crimes. See detailed discussion published there on May 22, 2011
The entire story of Dr. Offit’s explosion against the student asking question about the harmful Rotavirus vaccine is found on www.ageofautism.com; it took place in December 2012 and is accessed by putting the student’s name into the search box: Jake Crosby
Google Peter Rost to find details about his work on Wikipedia which has a link to the detailed interview from which quotes are used in this article, taken from www.guernicamag.com, June 11, 2008
P. Gotzsche, Deadly Medicines and Organized Crime: How Big Pharma has Corrupted Health Care, Radcliffe Publishing 2013
P. Gotzsche, Mammography Screening: Truth, Lies and Controversy, Radcliffe Publishing 2012
A detailed interview with Dr. Gotzsche is found on the website of Alliance for Natural Health UK, November 27, 2013
Specific to psychiatric drugs, which Gotzsche wants taken off the market completely, go to www.madinamerica.com, January 2014
To get a full understanding of the corruption in medical research go to:
P. Gotzsche, Why we need easy access to all data from all clinical trials and how to accomplish it, Trials, vol. 12, p. 249 ff, 2011
P. Gotzsche et al. Data Extraction Errors in Meta-analyses that use standardized mean differences, JAMA July 25, 2007
P. Gotzsche et al. Ghost Authorship in Industry-initiated Randomized Trials, on the website of the US National Institutes of Health, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, entered Nov 13, 2008
See also The New York Times interview with Dr. Gotzsche of April 9, 2002
The infamous studies that supposedly showed that taking beta-carotene and vitamin E accelerate the onset of lung cancer in men who were smokers and/or were exposed to asbestos were published in 1994 and 1996 and are discussed in great detail in a response paper provided by the UK Alliance for Natural Health to the European Union’s Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals in August 2002. On www.anh.org put into the search box the acronym CARET. Anybody wishing to understand how correct information on vitamins is perverted needs to read this document.
A recent analysis of how research on supplements is falsified is by Dr. Balz Frei, Director of the Linus Pauling Institute in Corvallis, Oregon, where he is also professor at the university:
A. J. Michels & B. Frei, Myths, Artifacts, and Fatal Flaws: Identifying Limitations and Opportunities in Vitamin C Research, Nutrients, Vol. 5, p. 5161 ff, 2013.
This article also discusses how the myths about vitamin C and kidney stones came about and how it was exploited and propagated. The definitive study that showed there was no basis for this myth was published in 1999:
J.A. Simon et al. Relation of Serum Ascorbic Acid to Serum Vitamin B12 Serum Ferritin, and Kidney Stones in US Adults, Archives of Intern al Medicine, vol. 159, issue 6 p. 619 ff, 1999. This in-depth analysis of all the evidence, none which has since changed even though vitamin C research has increased greatly recently, was so convincing that the standard textbook for internal Medicine, Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, took out the originally repeated suggestion that vitamin C may cause kidney stone formation.
The attack on niacin via a Merck-sponsored study was published by the American College of Cardiology on March 9, 2013. The Wikipedia entry for niacin explains its uses in medicine over the past 50 years thoroughly. No drug exists that even comes close to the positive effect on blood pressure, cholesterol etc of niacin – natural source, of course. Niacin as a cholesterol-regulating therapy is endorsed by the Mayo Clinic – details on www.anh.org , September 30, 2005.
The article claiming that vitamin E increases all causes of death: E.R. Miller et al Meta-Analysis: High-Dosage Vitamin E Supplementation May Increase All-Cause Mortality, Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, p. 37 ff, 2005
The disinformation on omega-3 oils was by B. Im et al, Modulation of prostate cancer genetic risk by omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, p. 1866 ff, 2007
Summary of the above sources:
All these studies which warn against vitamins and supplements share the same flaws:
1. The use of synthetic vitamins which are known to be toxic, especially when given in isolation; in effect, these studies discussed in this article merely report what happens if you do nothing, except provide toxic analogues of vitamins.
2. The selected trials, if the study is a meta-analysis, cannot be verified because all the raw data about what was given to how many people with what kind of health histories, how many were removed from the data list and for what reasons – all of that information is secret and protected by patent. None of the studies can be independently analyzed, leave alone replicated. For a discussion of the details of this method got to David Healy, Pharmageddon, Oxford University Press, 2012
3. The comparisons involve health conditions that are not comparable, e.g. in the lung cancer studies from the 1990s which claimed that beta-carotene causes cancer to develop faster, was done on people who smoked and on those exposed to asbestos. These two types of cancer are dramatically different types of lung cancer: exposure to asbestos virtually guarantees developing mesothelioma within 30 years, but even heavy smoking does not. The two groups should never have even been grouped together. All were given synthetic beta-carotene, no lifestyle changes were recommended, no baseline blood levels were taken, the phony vitamins were unaccompanied by the necessary synergistic supplements like natural source E, D3, C etc. All this is also mainstream information and was ignored.
4. None of the participants were examined for existing blood levels of those nutrients allegedly being studied: all trail participants were simply assume to be getting a healthy diet and having the right levels of those vitamins in their systems. But nothing was measured – before, during or after.
4. All those studies treat vitamins, essential fatty acids, minerals etc. as if they were drugs with the expectation that they should stop something from happening. It can only be concluded that the researchers are fully aware that the drug model, based on biological interference by means of a synthetic molecule known to be toxic, is totally inappropriate. Using a drug model approach ensures bad results. It appears, that the intention is to have totally ignorant researchers, who know only toxic interference therapies, are chosen to ensure that the trial is not done correctly – at the expense of all those trial participants. The mainstream studies, published in mainstream journals and available on PubMed (international source of all medical publications) that report correctly on the use of supplements and natural therapies are never even referenced – as if they did not exist.
5. The aim appears to be to show harm done by supplements. The harm done by drug therapies is so overwhelmingly documented and supported by court rulings all over the world, that massaging the data and creating phony information, to provide an appearance of harm from natural therapies, makes sense. The effort to show dead bodies, therefore, totally requires using artificial substances which are known to have the good chance of proving to be harmful.
6. All these attack studies show one thing with certainty: synthetic substances, be the vitamins or drugs, do not cure.
For correct information and the sources published in mainstream journals on how to use vitamins and minerals etc as therapy for chronic diseases go to https://www.Orthomolecularmedicine.org
Subscribe to Dr. Sherry Roger’s first-rate newsletter “Total Wellness” 1-800-846-6687. It is still the best source for correct information of all the health newsletters I know.
DrugDangers is a good source for information on legal actions going on against the drugs commonly prescribe
My 2013 book Creative Outrage is available for free downloading on my website www.helkeferrie.com Section 5, “Toxic Medicine” is of special relevance to this article.