Ask the Doctor – March 2009

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Question on Fertility Drugs

Dear Dr. Rona,

I am 32 years old who is married recently. GYN Doctor gave me medications which are, NAT 400 Natural Vitamin E 400 IU. Then to take for 2 months Clomid 50 mg (5th day from period) then for 10 days Duphaston 10 mg after finishing Clomid

My first day of the last period was Aug 12,08.  After doing blood test found out I’m pregnant. However with the ultrasound she said there is a cyst in uterus and it’s not the baby sack. She asked me to check with her again in few days.

What are the chances to keep the pregnancy normal with that cyst? How to remove it? is there a safer medication or anything else such as food other than operation?

Thank you for your time.


Dr. Rona’s Response

Dear Nancy:

Thank you for your letter. Fertility drugs can create a state of estrogen dominance that stimulates the growth of uterine tissue, leading to the formation of uterine cysts. Normally, these should not interfere with the pregnancy, provided they are not too large. The size and behavior of the cyst can be monitored by ultrasounds.

Interestingly enough, uterine cysts and fibroids can be reduced by diet changes and natural remedies that boost your body’s production of progesterone. Progesterone is very important because it helps support a normal, healthy pregnancy.

My advice to you would be to get your blood or saliva hormone levels checked as well as getting a thorough nutritional evaluation done by a naturopath or holistic medical doctor. He or she would then recommend diet changes such as a low estrogen producing diet as well as nutritional supplements that boost progesterone levels such as vitamin B6, magnesium, indole-3-carbinol and omega-3 fatty acids. Herbal remedies like vitex and bio-identical progesterone body cream are other potential estrogen dominance reversal remedies.

The ideal situation for you would be to work with a holistic gynecologist. In Toronto, the best such doctor is Dr. Alvin Pettle. I suggest you get your family doctor or fertility specialist to refer you to him.

Write a Comment

view all comments