From the Vitality Food Feature 'The Bitter Tastes of Spring'.
Greens and beans are a balanced combination of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This is a perfect spring soup. Use sorrel and chives or other green herbs that are just now emerging from their long winters’ sleep.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (Vidalia or Bermuda), coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk each: celery, carrot, parsnip, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (10oz/540g) white beans or chickpeas or lentils
- 3 cups packed, shredded greens: mustard, dandelion, Swiss chard, or a combination
1) In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and sauté onion over medium heat until soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery, carrot and parsnip and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, skimming off foam as required.
2) Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans or lentils. Stir beans and greens into soup and cook for 5 minutes, until beans are heated through and greens are wilted. Makes 4 to 6 servings.