From the Vitality Food Feature 'Marvellous Meatless Meals'.
My family loves this colourful dish, and so do our dinner guests! Serve it with crusty rolls – and supper is on.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 large diced pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 2 large chopped tomatoes
- A few sprigs fresh herbs of choice (rosemary, basil, thyme) or dried herbs to taste
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1-1/4 cups dried lima, white kidney, pinto, or other bean or mixed beans of choice (you can use canned beans, if desired)
- 1 cup whole baby or cubed potatoes
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped turnip
- 1 diced parsnip
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat oil in a saucepan, sauté onion, garlic, celery, and peppers until soft. Add stock, tomatoes, herbs, barley, and lima beans.
2) Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for one hour, adding a little more water as needed to keep from going dry.
3) When lima beans are nearly tender, add potatoes, carrots, turnip and parsnip. (If using canned or cooked beans, you can just add them directly with the remaining vegetables as they won’t need the extra cooking time).
4) Simmer until vegetables and beans are tender and liquid is reduced to desired consistency. Season and serve.