From the Vitality Food Feature 'Marvellous Meatless Meals'.
Everybody loves pizza and the good news is, you don’t need to weigh it down with meaty toppings to earn big praise at the table! If preferred, you can go gluten-free with a suitable substitute for the all-purpose flour. Makes 1 large thin crust, 1 medium thick crust, or 4 to 6 individual crusts for those who like to top their own any way they wish. (Note: Some stores carry gluten-free pizza shells for those interested.)
To prepare the dough:
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 envelope (15 ml) instant fast rising yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups wholewheat flour
1) Put water into a large bowl, add salt, honey and oil. Sprinkle yeast over the surface. Let stand until foamy.
2) Whisk with a fork. Add 1 cup of flour and mix until combined. Slowly beat in more flour with a wooden spoon until a stiff dough is formed. Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth.
3) Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Punch down. Form dough into a ball. Place on greased pizza pan (or pans) and pat out to desired thickness. Add toppings (see next recipe).